Remington 700 for 300 Norma Magnum

Etienne de Beer

I would like to know whether it is an option to change a Remington 300 WM into a 300 Norma Magnum Improved. There seems to be a lot of controversy regarding this. Some people say it's fine, some say it isn't. As far as I understand, the increase in cartridge base size means that the bolt face need to be opened and a Sako type extractor need to be installed. This does not really worry me and if it would improve matters one can always install an oversized PTG bolt as far as I understand. The main issue seems to be the increase in bolt thrust which might cause bolt setback and possibly safety concerns. Would "improving" the 300 Norma Magnum lessen the amount of bolt thrust because of the change in the shoulder angle and also possibly less tapered case? Is bolt setback really a concern?
I would really like some information, not only for my own build but also for other guys contemplating doing this.

Pressure is pressure. Remington made factory 338 lapua rifles which only had a larger bolt face. The 300 Norma/ improved generates the same pressure as the lapua and uses the same BF. Some will argue that other actions (aftermarket or weatherby mkv) are better actions to build from. I don't see any factory Remington 338 lapua lawsuits, so you make the call.
I shoot a 338 edge built on a 700 action and haven't had any issue.

Pressure is pressure. Remington made factory 338 lapua rifles which only had a larger bolt face. The 300 Norma/ improved generates the same pressure as the lapua and uses the same BF. Some will argue that other actions (aftermarket or weatherby mkv) are better actions to build from. I don't see any factory Remington 338 lapua lawsuits, so you make the call.
I shoot a 338 edge built on a 700 action and haven't had any issue.
Thanks very much. Food for thought.

If you have done some searching on this forum you will find members who have documented lug set back. You'll also find those who haven't. Yes, chromoly does have a higher yield strength than stainless so that could only help you. I decided to build my 338 NM on a custom action to ensure resale value. Knowing what you know about lug setback, would you buy a used one on a 700 action? There isn't a day I don't regret going custom for mine.

I think its down to your comfort level and acceptable level of risk. Some smiths won't do them so you need to ask. I wouldn't count on the improved version significantly reducing bolt thrust. Varmint Als article on bolt thrust may be of interested to you along with some research on Ackley chambering's.

If you are not doing the work yourself, just call some smiths. Conversations with them were very helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.