Remington 700 extractor verses m16 style verses sako extractor

I was cleaning up my photobucket stuff and found this :D ...

ScannedImage-1.jpg

Mine broke the first time on the 3rd or 4th shot also on a new gun and it did it again at around the 20-30 shots and on a clean bolt. That has nothing to do with lack of cleaning. It is a known and well documented defect, pure and simple. That is why I do not like the riveted extractor on the 700 magnums.

It will break at the worst times.

Having my very first Remington extractor problems after more than a few decades of Remmy shooting experience.

Just received this sweet 721 in 270 Win. (I have a 'thing' for Rem 721s:))

Have had to 'scratch' around the extractor with a brass wire brush, straight pin, tooth pic, brake cleaner, silicone, and a few choice words, a couple of times.

I'll probably go with a Sako or M16 extractor.

Having said the above I've had periodic problems with Bat Action's sliding extractor. It must be kept clean, clean, clean. Bat however, has a great video on removing, cleaning and replacing the extractor. Be careful though, that spring is small and the extractor is hard to find in the carpet. :roll eyes:

The best of the best is my Mauser 98 very slightly modified to provide for complete ejection of the spent cartridge with forceful operation of the bolt. Makes brass retrieval easy for most shooting and effective when hunting, for that infrequent' necessary followup shot.

Mine broke the first time on the 3rd or 4th shot also on a new gun and it did it again at around the 20-30 shots and on a clean bolt. That has nothing to do with lack of cleaning. It is a known and well documented defect, pure and simple. That is why I do not like the riveted extractor on the 700 magnums.

It will break at the worst times.

Love the picture-Still don't like the extractor!

Posting this just in case it helps some one with 721 going into battery, due to a ****** extractor....and wants to buy some time...maybe. Become an "ammo Smith" and taper your case heads so the push the extractor spring back into it hole where it belongs and not hitting the spring edge head on. If your brass is getting gouged by the extractor, try more taper..?

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_111605_kindlephoto-102477016.jpg
    IMG_20200228_111605_kindlephoto-102477016.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_20200228_111523_kindlephoto-102103873.jpg
    IMG_20200228_111523_kindlephoto-102103873.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20200228_111402_kindlephoto-102005930.jpg
    IMG_20200228_111402_kindlephoto-102005930.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 174
I would prefer the m16 version of those listed. That said I have had an extractor break at the rivet hole. Rotates the extractor around the radius and makes hard extraction that messes up the brass.

$20.00, a punch, hammer and file and 20 minutes you are back in business. If I had a standard action I'd live with it. Building new I'd buy a custom like a surgeon or similar and carry on.

I would prefer the m16 version of those listed. That said I have had an extractor break at the rivet hole. Rotates the extractor around the radius and makes hard extraction that messes up the brass.

$20.00, a punch, hammer and file and 20 minutes you are back in business. If I had a standard action I'd live with it. Building new I'd buy a custom like a surgeon or similar and carry on.
So, are you replacing the rivet along with extractor.?

Yes, comes with the kit usually

To do a 700 magnum bolt face will cost $75 plus shipping with the anvil needed to do it right. You'd better get 2 rivets since it takes practice. $20 will not get you a rivet or extractor.

REMINGTON RIFLE EXTRACTOR RIVET ANVIL​
1​
$45.39​
$45.39​
EXTRACTOR RIVET​
2​
$6.74​
$13.48​
EXTRACTOR, RIVETED TYPE​
1​
$16.14​
$16.14​
$75.01​

I wouldn't say that. I did mine on the first try and I don't think it was difficult. Remove the old one, put the new one in with the rivet head in, and the shaft out. Peen it over with a punch and file it flat afterward. Literally 10 minutes.

The Remington factory extractor is one of the poorest designs ever put in to production.

Yes, if you are going custom you are much better off biting the bullet and going with either the Sako or M-16 style extractor.

Or you could just go first class and build on a Model 70 CRF (Mauser type claw extractor) or give the Montana M1999 action a hard look. It is essentially a beefed up Model 70 CRF.

I have Six Model 700's about twice that many Model 70's, and one Montana 1999 and I much prefer the Winchester and Montana overall to the Remington.

One of the really big pluses for those designs is the three position safety and the same can be installed on the Model 700 as well. It is a much "safer" safety and completely reliable even in the foulest of weather, very much worth consideration as well.
That's bunk-never had a failure on my remingtons, and I've not heard of a single report of one. I do have one of two rifle with m16 extractor that barely gets the shell out. Also, I prefer the speed of push feed actions myself.

2 failures on a new RR s/n actions was enough for me to go to M16 style. One failure was when I was taking a few sighter shots 14 hours before my antelope hunt started.
Had to go to my backup rifle.

I've considered having my extractor replaced on my 308 Rem 700. I decided to just order a PTG bolt body milled for a Sako extractor.

I'm putting together a 300WM on a 700 SS action also. If my 308 bolt body from PTG arrives without any issues, I'll probably just go with another one for the 300WM. I'm a bit apprehensive about the PTG extractor cuts, I've heard some bad feedback on the machining on them.

But I bit the bullet and figured I would try one for myself. I figure worst case, if the Sako cut is messed up, I can go with an M16 cut, but that's a no go the other way around. When it arrives and I verify fitment, it will get sent to Accu-Tig to have the bolt handle welded in place and timed. He does excellent work on every bolt I've ever sent. I would like to go with their mini-M16 extractor for the 300WM. See how it goes I guess...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.