Remington 700 Cartridge Loading problems

Hi.
I own a Remington 700 in .308, with a 26 inch Fluted barrel, with a standard stainless steel action and bolt.
I have fitted a CHOATE John Plaster Sniper stock.
I am now battling to load my bullets from the magazine. There are two problems.
1. The bolt does not seem to hook the bullet when fully cocked, to enable the bolt to push it forward. I have to push the bullet slightly forward with my finger before the actions hooks in behind the bullet.
2. The bullet is jamming in the throat chamber, and the magazine area.

I have tried putting in the black magazine rim at the bottom of the stock, which came with the original synthetic stock, and also tried it without. I have same results.

I have a feeling that it may be the overall length of the bullet which is a problem, as the bullet only just fits in the magazine space.

I am shooting Sierra Match King 168Gr with Lapua Brass.

Can anyone assist me with some advice on what may be wrong?

Many Thanks!!!

Marcel

As this is more a reloading than 'smithing question I'd post there but with more specifics. I'd mention your cartridge oal, your rifle's max. oal (before the bullet jambs the rifling), the max mag length, etc.. I can't help with an "it jambs" unless I've got enough specifics to help you get going in the right direction.

Personally, I'd set your ammo to 2.810" (standard saami oal) and do a charge run up there to see if she shoots. Long seating bullets at best has only a bit of benefit on certain designs of bullet that require a bit more tuning. Even those (berger vld as an example) can shoot jumped just fine with a bit of work.
I'm blowing berger 168 vld's out of my 7rum with 95 gr rl50 with a .300" jump and netting a .65 moa average group. I think you'll have trouble even trying to get that kind of jump on your 308.

Did the rifle feed cartridges (not bullets!) at the OAL you are using when installed in the original stock?

+1. Also if this is the case you might have accidentally put that piece that is in the magazine back in wrong. I wish I knew its name but it's the box thing your cartridges sit in inside the magazine w/the bottom metal and spring. I've made that mistake once.

One things for sure if the round worked before the new stock then something didn't go well with the install

Gentlemen! Thank you kindly for your replies and advise.

1. I never shot the rifle in the original stock. So obviously had no problems there.
2. Yes, the magazine seat and spring are correctly installed.
3. I think the oal might be the issue. I'm gonna check this and see what I come up with. My bullets are not seating in the Lans, and should be a thou mm away. I'm gonna do some standard oal loads and see what the gouping is like and then work from there!

Thanks again for the input, much appreciated. I will post a results reply, when done, which may take a few days or so. Need the rifle to keep baboons at bay at the moment, so not much chance for target shooting!
Happy shooting men!

Hi.
I own a Remington 700 in .308, with a 26 inch Fluted barrel, with a standard stainless steel action and bolt.
I have fitted a CHOATE John Plaster Sniper stock.
I am now battling to load my bullets from the magazine. There are two problems.
1. The bolt does not seem to hook the bullet when fully cocked, to enable the bolt to push it forward. I have to push the bullet slightly forward with my finger before the actions hooks in behind the bullet.
2. The bullet is jamming in the throat chamber, and the magazine area.

I have tried putting in the black magazine rim at the bottom of the stock, which came with the original synthetic stock, and also tried it without. I have same results.

I have a feeling that it may be the overall length of the bullet which is a problem, as the bullet only just fits in the magazine space.

I am shooting Sierra Match King 168Gr with Lapua Brass.

Can anyone assist me with some advice on what may be wrong?

Many Thanks!!!

Marcel

I'm not 100% sure that I 100% understand. Are you sure that you don't have a stock fitting problem and your magazine wall metal is correctly fitting in? If it is fitted wrong, you will have one of those problems where the shells don't always begin feeding because the bolt face isn't catching a shell rim.

Now if you are pushing shells forward with no problems, but they aren't ramping into the tube correctly, that is more difficult to figure out.

You may just check the follower spring and give it a good cleaning.

Hi, Thanks for the interest and questions.
The Bullet bullet guide fits 100%, as it seats in the action as it is supposed too.
I am almost 100% sure it is a Overall length of bullet that is giving me the problems. I am going to load some standard length rounds and see if it solves the problem. I'll post results as soon as I can get this done!
Have a great day!
Marcel

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.