Remington 700 bolt variations.

Well I've got a different take on OP's original problem:

You don't like the Ruger American because of the fit and finish. But you're gonna use it in the dark, where you can't see the fit and finish anyway.

Just buy yourself a large paper bag to keep the rifle in during the day. Take it outta the bag at night, when you can't see how bad the finish is, and use it then.

Problem solved, and you save yourself some money. What's not to like about that?
My RAR 300blk was trash. It blew the primers out of every factory round I tried. Barnes Vortex would stick the bolt. Warrantied it and the replacement did the same thing. Got my money back and never looked at another Ruger American. Fit and finish be damned, zipper noises I could live with. They just didn't work. I've heard of others with the same issue with the 300blk ranch.

FYI to all, this thread gives some good info;

Just to add, I just has a custom rifle built on a new OEM 700 Rem action and supplied a PTG fluted bolt to use.
When it was returned, I was told DO NOT use the factory bolt since it wasn't fitted to the action after like the PTG bolt was.

Last edited:
FYI to all, this thread gives some good info;

Just to add, I just has a custom rifle built on a new OEM 700 Rem action and supplied a PTG fluted bolt to use.
When it was returned, I was told DO NOT use the factory bolt since it wasn't fitted to the action after like the PTG bolt was.
You can order 700 PTG bolts with different dia to fit the action better, factory ones are what they are.
The Rem model 7 bolts are 1/2" shorter than the 700SA , as far as I know dia on a 7 is similar to a 700

Did they sleeve your action?
Not needed as far as I know. The PTG was made for that short action and 308/243 cal.
He never suggested it or even mentioned doing that, so I assume it wasn't required.
He did machine the bolt lugs and lapped them in. I don't want to hijack this thread so I may start my own on that build.

First, I'm not the OP. Maybe you meant to quote them. No worries.

Second, NEVER and I mean NEVER order from PT&G unless you like being yanked around and not getting your stuff.
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. I was ready to place an order with them, but I saw your post. What supplier do you use for reamers, gauges, bolts, etc.? If anyone else would like to chime in, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm fortunate to have one of the countries foremost gunsmiths as a friend and he doesn't live far down the street from me. I take my stuff to him. I can usually get what I need from him.

Were did milling into the lug come from?
I've never seen a sako or m16 milled into a lug. Some people say a sako can come back down the raceway under over pressure. Others say it breaks the 3 rings of steel but an M16 is on just about every single custom 700 clone action.
Yeah that's it. I'm not sure where I got the milling into the lug either. Although I swear, I saw one online somewhere. Possibly it was a what not to do. lol. I will have to see if I can find it again.

Yes, I've seen it on You Tube also. This is the URL but I separated with it spaces for web site permissions:
https: //www.youtube .com/watch?
Part one: v=Ti9-jFyLG6s
Part two: v=bXfBNO2fxfc This is the milling operation
Can't find part 3
Part four: v=oqPqeqqpFp8
I don't think I can post the whole link here without editing?
Just copy the URL line than add the part number you want and paste it in your browser. It's a 4 part series on installing a Sako extractor on a Rem 700 bolt.

Last edited: