Remington 700 bolt variations.

Plenty of 300BO 700s and Model 7s. Doesn't seem to be an issue that was big enough to call for a recall
Thats because the 300BO Remington sold had the FB design bolt.
The 300BO remington action was actually the model 7 I have one that I built a 20SCC ( 20VTAI) it ejects way better than a 223 700.
I'm not home right now to take a pic but I'm pretty sure it says 300BO right on the action

Last edited:
Thats because the 300BO Remington sold had the FB design bolt.
The 300BO remington action was actually the model 7 I have one that I built a 20SCC ( 20VTAI) it ejects way better than a 223 700.
I'm not home right now to take a pic but I'm pretty sure it says 300BO right on the action
When I had mine built it was on a 700 varmint barrel 223 there were no factory offerings at all at that time I must of got lucky David

I'm not saying it won't work on a 223 but to get 100% reliability if you want a repeater a FB action is the best or a sako- m16 extractor if it doesn't.
The FB actions also have a FB mag box and follower.
There was a reason remington did this.

First, I'm not the OP. Maybe you meant to quote them. No worries.

Second, NEVER and I mean NEVER order from PT&G unless you like being yanked around and not getting your stuff.
Oh sorry about that. But it did pay off because I had no idea about PT&G. I was considering them for a possible problem I have. Thanks

O.k I got home had a couple things backwards, the model 7 action is stamped 300BLK not 300BO like i thought and the extractor position is 12:30 FB bolt and 2-2:30 223 bolt i had it backwards.
If you enlarge my pic of the bolts you can tell, the 300BLK- FB is on the right.

Attachments

• 20230606_064253.jpg
    20230606_064253.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230606_063943.jpg
    20230606_063943.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 125
O.k I got home had a couple things backwards, the model 7 action is stamped 300BLK not 300BO like i thought and the extractor position is 12:30 FB bolt and 2-2:30 223 bolt i had it backwards.
If you enlarge my pic of the bolts you can tell, the 300BLK- FB is on the right.
So if he went with Installing a M16 extractor they would not need to mill into the lug ? Isn't that the whole reason for some people not liking that option ?

Were did milling into the lug come from?
I've never seen a sako or m16 milled into a lug. Some people say a sako can come back down the raceway under over pressure. Others say it breaks the 3 rings of steel but an M16 is on just about every single custom 700 clone action.

Well I've got a different take on OP's original problem:

You don't like the Ruger American because of the fit and finish. But you're gonna use it in the dark, where you can't see the fit and finish anyway.

Just buy yourself a large paper bag to keep the rifle in during the day. Take it outta the bag at night, when you can't see how bad the finish is, and use it then.

Problem solved, and you save yourself some money. What's not to like about that?

I think your question has been answered but just wanted to throw in here I had a Ruger American that I was going to rid of for the same reasons as you but I ended up shooting it a few times and that gun beyond shocked me. The bolt never got as smooth as a tikka or Sako but it did get better and I would put it up there with others for sure. That being said, I ended up putting just over 2k rounds down that rifle without a single issue and the accuracy was extremely impressive. 1/2" was pretty common across a good range of projectiles, the rifle just flat out worked and well. Might be worth a try, best of luck either way!!

Not sure extending the ejector would help. The ejector is not timed and puts constant pressure on the case head. One of the things I like about the Zermatt action is it's manual/Mauser style ejector. Allows leaving the case in the action or ejecting depending on how you operate the bolt. Case length is the real issue as with 6mm BR. Repositioned extractor as per Rem. seems to work by changing the angel at which the cartridge ejects.