Remington 700 bolt variations.

DustThroughaFan

Recently purchased a ruger American in 300blk and I am not pleased at all with the fit/finish of the bolt. So I'm probably just going to dump it before it ever sees its first round of ammunition. I just wanted something lite and handy to shoot subs in the dark that I wouldn't worry about beating up but I don't think I can tolerate this thing.

Anyway, I've got a spare 223 bolt for a 700, and a 700 that I play musical barrels with already, so I'm thinking about just spinning up a barrel for the rifle I have.

Problem is, I've done this before, way back when the 300blk first came out, and I never could get it to extract right. It would always lose the case halfway out and you either had to fish it out by hand or dump it out. I got tired of it and had the guy that built it rechamber it in 308 win.

Reading on another forum, someone had posted, in order for a 700 in 300blk to function, it needed a 300blk specific bolt, or a bolt that was used in the fireball chambered rifles in order to function. Allegedly, the blackout/fireball bolts had the extractor clocked in a different location. Is there any truth to this ? I can't find any info on it anywhere.

What is it about the blackout that requires a different location?

If he used a Sako extractor, would it go in the usual location?

Recently purchased a ruger American in 300blk and I am not pleased at all with the fit/finish of the bolt. So I'm probably just going to dump it before it ever sees its first round of ammunition. I just wanted something lite and handy to shoot subs in the dark that I wouldn't worry about beating up but I don't think I can tolerate this thing.

Anyway, I've got a spare 223 bolt for a 700, and a 700 that I play musical barrels with already, so I'm thinking about just spinning up a barrel for the rifle I have.

Problem is, I've done this before, way back when the 300blk first came out, and I never could get it to extract right. It would always lose the case halfway out and you either had to fish it out by hand or dump it out. I got tired of it and had the guy that built it rechamber it in 308 win.

Reading on another forum, someone had posted, in order for a 700 in 300blk to function, it needed a 300blk specific bolt, or a bolt that was used in the fireball chambered rifles in order to function. Allegedly, the blackout/fireball bolts had the extractor clocked in a different location. Is there any truth to this ? I can't find any info on it anywhere.
There are posts about the 17FB bolt working better, but this was built up on a model 7, not the 700. Bolt diameters are different, so not interchangeable. Seems to have to do with the diameter of the ejector from what I've read. Every other picture I can find shows the extractor in the same position on all 700s. Its at the lug.

What is the difference between the 300 Blackout bolt and other Rem 700 bolts? Position of extractor or ejector, bolt face recess diameter...?

I also never had any issues with ANY short action on the 700 platform.
Magnum long actions on the other hand, I've had issues with, in regards to the riveted extractors.

Makes me curious if the OP has a short action bolt that uses a riveted extractor. It could be as simple as tolerance issue. Either way, a mini m16 extractor or something like it would be a fix, as what was suggested.

As rickiesrevenge said in earlier post the Blackout needs a FB bolt the positioning is different from your basic 223 boltface.
The 223 is clocked at 12:30 and the FB is at 2:30. The 700AAC 300BO actions have the FB bolt.

As rickiesrevenge said in earlier post the Blackout needs a FB bolt the positioning is different from your basic 223 boltface.
The 223 is clocked at 12:30 and the FB is at 2:30. The 700AAC 300BO actions have the FB bolt.
Got it. Thanks. Could this problem be solved by beveling the face of the ejector to change where on the case head the ejector pushes?