Remington 700 Bolt Stuck After Firing

Primary extraction is the contact between the cam machined into the action and the 'mating' cam that is part of the bolt handle. When the 2 cams meet, positive mechanical action takes place and gives the initial rearward movement of the bolt, which has the case rim engaged via the extractor. If the bolt handle is not properly positioned on the bolt body, the 2 cams don't meet, thus,, no primary extraction. (the bolt handle on a Rem 700 is silver brazed on)
DSCF1303.JPG
DSCF1302.JPG

Trigger timing involves the hand-off of the cocking piece (which is pinned to the firing pin) to the trigger. An example of poor trigger timing would be when the cocking piece engages the trigger excessive forward movement of the bolt body occurs. A smooth "hand-off" of the cocking piece to the trigger, without excessive forward movement of the bolt body, is what is desired in trigger timing. Trigger timing directly effects the distance the firing pin falls. The firing pin on a 700 needs .240"+ for reliable, consistent ignition, which aids in accuracy.

Last edited:
Would primary extraction issues suddenly appear? I used to not have this issue. Seems if it was a faulty extraction it would of been a problem from the beginning.
It could potentially. Have you tried putting the factory trigger back in as others have suggested? To me, it doesn't seem like it's the trigger from the symptoms you have described, but it could be. I have experienced a 300 RUM that functioned fine with factory ammo and light to mild handloads. As soon as the pressures started to get towards the top end the bolt was hard to pull back. The bolt would lift up fine, but it was hard to get back. This sounds just like what you're experiencing.

I would load up a few rounds with the same load that was hard to extract. Swap in the original trigger, and go shoot those. See if they are hard to extract or not. If they are, then it's not the trigger. If they aren't sticky, something is obviously wrong with the new trigger.

Primary extraction is the contact between the cam machined into the action and the 'mating' cam that is part of the bolt handle. When the 2 cams meet, positive mechanical action takes place and gives the initial rearward movement of the bolt, which has the case rim engaged via the extractor. If the bolt handle is not properly positioned on the bolt body, the 2 cams don't meet, thus,, no primary extraction. (the bolt handle on a Rem 700 is silver brazed on)View attachment 290172View attachment 290175

I watched a video on You tune that explained this. The two contact points you are showing in the pics do not touch in my rifle.

Primary Extraction can happen also after your brass starts to get work hardened and is common in 700's when running hot loads. Especially actions with RR serial# prefix.
It's just very odd yours showed up for the first time after replacing the factory trigger. With how easy it is to switch out the trigger I'm puzzled why you have not done so to eliminate the Timney being the issue. Do you still have the factory trigger you replaced?

Yes sir but I've been lazy and busy with work and kids. I've also been shooting my 06' and developed a light load for my kids with the .308.

I watched a video on You tune that explained this. The two contact points you are showing in the pics do not touch in my rifle.
If the two points do not touch, then the rifle has no primary extraction. Thus there's no mechanical operation helping you extract the brass from the chamber. This would again explain the easy bolt lift but hard to pull the bolt open.

It could potentially. Have you tried putting the factory trigger back in as others have suggested? To me, it doesn't seem like it's the trigger from the symptoms you have described, but it could be. I have experienced a 300 RUM that functioned fine with factory ammo and light to mild handloads. As soon as the pressures started to get towards the top end the bolt was hard to pull back. The bolt would lift up fine, but it was hard to get back. This sounds just like what you're experiencing.

I would load up a few rounds with the same load that was hard to extract. Swap in the original trigger, and go shoot those. See if they are hard to extract or not. If they are, then it's not the trigger. If they aren't sticky, something is obviously wrong with the new trigger.
In addition to other good advice here: In my own personal experience a tiny brass shaving wedged under a claw extractor was the culprit however I have also heard of those who were experiencing interference between their action & their stocks doing the same thing.

Note gap between bolt and receiver when bolt is up. Are these points supposed to make contact?

Attachments

• B024116F-110F-4EC7-A01E-0ABEC0B6486A.jpeg
    B024116F-110F-4EC7-A01E-0ABEC0B6486A.jpeg
    755.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 561C3F5A-4C56-45FE-A77F-6E774D29A1E6.jpeg
    561C3F5A-4C56-45FE-A77F-6E774D29A1E6.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 132
Got the 7mm STW Rem 700 and loaded 76 grains of H1000 behind 162 grain SST and didn't have any extraction problems. I am not sure if it's primary extraction issues or case swelling. Factory ammo doesn't cause the issue but hand loads closer to manual max loads the bolt gets stuck and there is brass shavings on bolt face.

Manual max loads are ONLY a possibility and anyone's rifle might not even get close to that load. Extraction is one symptom of pressure, swelled web, flattened primers, cratered primers, are all similar examples which can sum up to extraction problems. If you are getting brass in bolt face you are in pressure.