Remington 700 Bolt Stuck After Firing

Hard bolt lift after trigger install is a known and fairly common occurrence after installing a Timney trigger in a R700. Google "hard bolt lift Timney trigger". Caused by the cocking piece/firing pin binding on the trigger release lever. Easy to fix with the right tools.
Hard bolt lift isn't the problem. After the shot the bolt lifts fine but the bolt won't move backwards.

Then definitely sounds like a timing problem. Strange that it started after trigger install though...
What ever happened is a direct result of the trigger install,
Google "hard bolt lift Timney trigger, I feel sure its all related, I'm gonna make another suggestion, Stop and take it to a Smith before you get hurt

I'd just back the over travel screw out a 1/4 of a turn and see if that made any difference. It is possible to have the over travel set too close. The rifle will fire because there is the power of the compressed firing pin spring over it. But, when you go to withdraw the bolt, the sear hasn't enough room to depress, because the trigger is in the way and blocked by its over travel adjustment screw, to allow the bolt smooth movement. In my 30+yrs of 'bench experience' I've seen that more then just a few times. The makers of aftermarket triggers might call them "drop-in", but they need to be properly adjusted, too. If that doesn't work, then I'd put the OEM trigger back on and see what difference that would make.

If the bolt lifts fine then I don't think it's the trigger. Lifting the bolt is when the cocking piece engages the trigger, when you pull back on the bolt the rifle is already cocked and you now are just fighting the stuck case out. The case bulge is part of the problem but I bet the primary extraction is still wrong. The part where it lifts easy but you can't pull it back is the prime example of poor primary extraction and it's very common in Remington 700s. Stiff bolt closing and opening would be a problem with the brass and/or trigger.

Some friends in the range might have eliminated the issue. Case bulge by the belt and my Hornady 7mm STW isn't sizing it properly.
You need a collet die, made by larrywillis.com Regular full length sizing dies don't size all the way down to the belt, the one made by Innovative Technologies does. It's not uncommon for belted mags to swell a bit , right above the belt, after a few firings. Extraction timing could stand to be 'fixed', also.

Last edited:
Changed factory trigger on my 7mm STW Rem 700 Sendero and now my bolt gets stuck after firing hand loads and is very difficult to pull back on factory ammo. I'm not sure if it's the trigger change (Timney) or the softer Hornady brass I'm using on reloads. What's causing this? Loads are not hot and no signs of over press
If this started immediately after installing the trigger then call Timney and ask them about it! As stated by others put the old trigger back in. Process of elimination.

Posts like this are the reason I stopped coming here years ago, why don't someone suggest a carbon ring, surely that's got to be it or he hasn't inspected his barrel with a bore scope for burrs, SMH

SMH.gif

Last edited:
Posts like this are the reason I stopped coming here years ago, why don't someone suggest a carbon ring, surely that's got to be it or he hasn't inspected his barrel with a bore scope for burrs, SMH

View attachment 288775
When ya' can't actually see it,, it becomes a 'game' of speculation. "A guessing game". Not really educational for anyone. If you happen to 'rub someone wrong', the reply often is, "I / we come here to learn". What we learned here is that everyone has a 'guess'.

Last edited: