Remington 700 Bolt/Firing pin trouble

eship

My problem started with a delay in the rifle firing. A friend suggested squirting some cleaner in the bolt and this seemed to cure the problem for a bit. Then I fired the rifle and not only was there a delay but the bolt stuck!! I bought the proper tools and completely dissassembled the bolt and discovered some surface rust on the firing pin. I cleaned it up with some 220grit and reassembled the bolt. After firing the rifle four or five times it did it again!! Now I know I need a new firing pin/spring and that sanding it was just a temporary fix ( I thought), but can the problem i'm having with the firing pin cause my stuck bolt? Thanks.

I'm shooting factory ammo and don't believe my bolt problems are pressure related. Once the bolt breaks loose it is quite easy to move. It also doesn't do this everytime. Thanks.

Yes, the cocking is pinned to the firing pin. If the pin was stuck in the fired postion you would has problems opening the bolt. You may have rust or debris inside the bolt. You may find a very small pipe cleaner or sometime of sovlent to clean the rust out.

Vince

Some of that "GunScrubber" thru the bolt body with the firing pin assembly removed might help. Using a bore brush on a pistol rod will help with those kind of cleaning jobs too. A new firing pin assembly won't help if the bolt body is dirty/rusty inside. Might be the pin the holds the cocking piece to the firing pin isn't a tight fit and that pin drags sometimes, I've seen several like that lately where the pin wasn't a tight fit.

One more question. Now that I've cleaned out all of the original remington grease on the firing pin assembly what would you reccommend for a lubricant? Dry Graphite?? Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.