Remington 700 -- Any years to avoid?

The SPS stock does not free float the barrel if I remember correctly. If I were looking to improve the accuracy I would look at a stock with an aluminum bedding block. B&C or H&S.

Well duh! I didn't see the post above!
Why did you not mention McMillan? I was under the impression they were the top of the line. I used to do the HVAC work at HS when they were in Prescott, AZ... back when I had a lot more hair, and didn't hurt when I went to bed.

Me either but you threw out the first what if this happens, so I followed suit. All systems have some type of weakness and throwing a 700 under the bus because a handle may fall off is not realistic imo, nothing more.
I never suggested throwing it under the bus, just an upgrade to avoid a potential issue.

I'm a preventive medicine guy, rather head off a potential problem than deal with it when it appears. The cost of the three methods is so minimal it's just cheap insurance.

Last edited:
That love is expensive 😬
The nice thing about buying an off the rack rifle with the intent of customizing it later is that you don't have to take that big bite all at once. You can do it with a little work here and there, adding/replacing a component here and there or buying one component at a time and saving up to have a gunsmith put it all together eventually.

You won't outlive a decent action and stock.

Why did you not mention McMillan? I was under the impression they were the top of the line. I used to do the HVAC work at HS when they were in Prescott, AZ... back when I had a lot more hair, and didn't hurt when I went to bed.
I've got both and like them very well. The price difference and wait time differences are substantial.

For a guy on a budget the HS stocks are a great upgrade from the Tupperware stocks.

The nice thing about buying an off the rack rifle with the intent of customizing it later is that you don't have to take that big bite all at once. You can do it with a little work here and there, adding/replacing a component here and there or buying one component at a time and saving up to have a gunsmith put it all together eventually.

You won't outlive a decent action and stock.
By the time the gunsmith cobbles together all the tinker toy pieces you have collected, you have spent twice the money it takes to buy a new rifle that will shoot as well or even better than your self customized Lego-amalgam. And people "say" accuracy is the most important thing, but at that point one can see it is more about the process than the outcome. But folks enjoy the building so much that in their mind it is worth $3,000 (more or less) to end up with a rifle that may not shoot any better than a factory rifle because they get to choose all the components they like.
Ironically, some of the most elaborate builds are done by folks who couldn't put 3 shots into the same hole at 50 yards if you handed them an Anschutz 22 LR . Just pointing out what we've seen.

Here is an unmolested 700 action (RR Prefix) straight out of the box. I screwed on a Criterion Remage barrel 6.5CM and a Trigger Tech Special. Its not even the Diamond trigger

This was sighting it in. First 2 shots upper right were after bore sighting.

Next 2 shots low middle were the first scope sdjustment

Next 2 shots after the next elevation adjustment. You can get good precision from a lowly R700

rem700sightinh.JPG

Just me but I've never seen a Remington made in Japan or Portugal . Same reason I'll never buy a Browning . Remington, Ruger and Savage 🇺🇸 Japan now makes decent rifles at Howa. I own a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 win mag. Decent rifle. Had one in 6 5 Creed also I sold. Won both on $10.00 raffle tickets. I'd of never bought one new. I have a grudge from WWII. Ive never owned a car or motorcycle made there either and never will . I'm Sure Win. and Browning rifles can shoot. I just prefer it was made here and keep jobs here. Ta Da !
Oh, I only own/have owned 5 Rem. Mod. 700's. All moa shooters. I still have 2 of them. I had a Win. mod. 70 my ex wife's Step dad gave me. A pre 64 243. It was a very accurate rifle. Made in USA. I sold it years ago to a friend when I needed money. I could buy it back anytime. I don't want it. I have a Rem 700 in 243 now .
😉🇺🇸👍🏼

Last edited:
Just me but I've never seen a Remington made in Japan or Portugal . Same reason I'll never buy a Browning . Remington, Ruger and Savage 🇺🇸 Japan now makes decent rifles at Howa. I own a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 win mag. Decent rifle. Had one in 6 5 Creed also I sold. Won both on $10.00 raffle tickets. I'd of never bought one new. I have a grudge from WWII. Ive never owned a car or motorcycle made there either and never will . I'm Sure Win. and Browning rifles can shoot. I just prefer it was made here and keep jobs here. Ta Da !
Oh, I only own/have owned 5 Rem. Mod. 700's. All moa shooters. I still have 2 of them. I had a Win. mod. 70 my ex wife's Step dad gave me. A pre 64 243. It was a very accurate rifle. Made in USA. I sold it years ago To a friend when I needed money. I could buy it back anytime. I don't won't it. I have a Rem 700 in 243 now .
😉🇺🇸
My Rems are all good... Regardless of the negative comments.
Years ago... and still today, I culled all of my rifles that didn't shoot under .7 MOA CONSISTENTLY regardless of manufacturer, caliber or custom...etc.
Of all the FACTORY rifles I have...I have no Browning rifles in my possession. I have a few Ruger 77's, Winchester 70's, Savage's and one Howa (because they shoot very well) and the rest ... yep, the old horrible, terrible, inaccurate, problematic Remington 700's.

Last edited:
My Rems are all good... Regardless of the negative comments.
Years ago... and still today, I culled all of my rifles that didn't shoot under .7 MOA CONSISTENTLY regardless of manufacturer, caliber or custom...etc.
Of all the FACTORY rifles I have...I have no Browning rifles in my possession. I have a few Ruger 77's, Winchester 70's and one Howa (because they shoot very well) and the rest ... yep, the old horrible, terrible inaccurate, problematic Remington 700's.
👍🏼🇺🇸