Remington 700 -- Any years to avoid?

And if your bolt is properly timed it's best to have it welded, drilled and pinned, or drilled and tapped and a screw inserted to avoid the dreaded bolt handle flying off which has happened to quite a few guys over the years.
That may be good advice, idk, but I've been owning and shooting dozens of Remington 700's since 1980 and I've only had one problem, the extractor broke on the 1980 model. Could it have been the overloaded bullets Rem put out for the 7mm Express, idk, but that's what I was shooting when it broke.

That may be good advice, idk, but I've been owning and shooting dozens of Remington 700's since 1980 and I've only had one problem, the extractor broke on the 1980 model. Could it have been the overloaded bullets Rem put out for the 7mm Express, idk, but that's what I was shooting when it broke.
Bolts are a weak spot in the design. The solder them on and if the soldering job is not perfect they can snap off or pop off.

I'm a preventive medicine guy, rather head off a potential problem than deal with it when it appears. The cost of the three methods is so minimal it's just cheap insurance.

Extractors are another which is why so many guys and smiths doing customs go with the SAKO or M16 extractor.

I've had three 700's with extractor problems over the years. I don't have many 700's anymore because I prefer model 70's which avoid the issue entirely.

Eventually probably all of my 700's will be replaced with the M70's, Montana M1999's or CZ 500 series, 527 and 550's.

If you hunt dangerous game even occasionally you start thinking about such issues and CRF vs non push feed actions.

If you want a heavier rifle that isn't as accurate by all means go model 70. I have had them and Now they are Remington or Tikka
You bought the wrong model 70 then. I have more than a few that are sub .7 MOA shooters including several one-holers.

The weight difference is negligible. The integral lug of the model 70 adds weight but then so does the add on lug you put on the Model 700.

The difference in the extractors is less than 1 oz.

Just like Remington there are some years to avoid but any New Haven or Portugal made CRF is capable of shooting as well as any factory action on the market.

Bolts are a weak spot in the design. The solder them on and if the soldering job is not perfect they can snap off or pop off.

I'm a preventive medicine guy, rather head off a potential problem than deal with it when it appears. The cost of the three methods is so minimal it's just cheap insurance.

Extractors are another which is why so many guys and smiths doing customs go with the SAKO or M16 extractor.

I've had three 700's with extractor problems over the years. I don't have many 700's anymore because I prefer model 70's which avoid the issue entirely.

Eventually probably all of my 700's will be replaced with the M70's, Montana M1999's or CZ 500 series, 527 and 550's.

If you hunt dangerous game even occasionally you start thinking about such issues and CRF vs non push feed actions.
Most of my game animal 700's have the Sako extractor on them, I even have the jig to cut it but no mill to do it so I take it to a local shop to have it cut, plus I have PT&G bolt for a Model 7 with a Sako extractor. I've known about the weakness of the 700's extractor for a long time, but seriously I've never been around anyone whose handle came off. But that why I originally said it might not be a bad idea.
Since you brought up dangerous game my problem with controlled feed is if you don't make a kill shot, make **** poor follow up shot and need to slap a bullet in under pressure getting it into the magazine so you can get it into the chamber could be the last thing you ever do.
With all that said it's good to have choices, for most guys a full blown custom is out of reach so it's good they have choices to choose from imo.

I did not bother reading the other 3 Pages I'll just leave this here for the haters I must have got lucky with my sendero only changes I got rid of the crappy stock that it came with put it in a good one.
Screenshot_20221006-035126_Gallery.jpg

Maybe this is taking this thread on a hard left turn...
Is it a big deal to throw a better barrel on a 700? I do like my Rem SPS Stainless 7-08. Trigger is adjustable and is very light.
Would be great if it could be turned into a shooter. I would put a 24" barrel back on it. Has that now and handles well.
The SPS stock does not free float the barrel if I remember correctly. If I were looking to improve the accuracy I would look at a stock with an aluminum bedding block. B&C or H&S.

Well duh! I didn't see the post above!

Last edited:
Most of my game animal 700's have the Sako extractor on them, I even have the jig to cut it but no mill to do it so I take it to a local shop to have it cut, plus I have PT&G bolt for a Model 7 with a Sako extractor. I've known about the weakness of the 700's extractor for a long time, but seriously I've never been around anyone whose handle came off. But that why I originally said it might not be a bad idea.
Since you brought up dangerous game my problem with controlled feed is if you don't make a kill shot, make **** poor follow up shot and need to slap a bullet in under pressure getting it into the magazine so you can get it into the chamber could be the last thing you ever do.
With all that said it's good to have choices, for most guys a full blown custom is out of reach so it's good they have choices to choose from imo.
That's never been a problem for me. If it takes more than 4 I'm probably going to be dead anyhow.

That's never been a problem for me. If it takes more than 4 I'm probably going to be dead anyhow.
Me either but you threw out the first what if this happens, so I followed suit. All systems have some type of weakness and throwing a 700 under the bus because a handle may fall off is not realistic imo, nothing more.

The Remington 700 series of rifles (721/722/725) were and are a benchmark in American rifle-building. More custom rigs have been built on the 700 action than any other.

I have owned quite a few and almost all have shot well. The two that gave me more trouble were from the Remington Custom Shop. One 700 APR in 300 Weatherby shot 3-4" groups at 100 yds. no matter what I did. I sent it back and Remington installed a new barrel, problem solved. Another Mod.7 AWR in 7SAUM wouldn't group under 2" - I don't have it anymore.

The advancements in laser rangefinders, composite stocks, turret riflescopes, barrels, bullets, triggers and actions the last 20 years is mind blowing. It makes the accuracy standards of the past obsolete. When most shots at game are taken under 500 yds. an off the shelf 700 will do a great job. When you go to or past 500 yds., the game changes. DD62