Remington 700 ADL

idcwby

My cousin just went and bought a new 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag. He is shooting the 175gr Rem CoreLokt ammo. When he goes to close the bolt it is very hard to get the bolt down, when pulling out the fired brass it's not as hard and the brass is showing no signs of pressure, but the extractor is leaving a big gouge on the rim of the brass. Is the chamber to small? Just needs polished?

Tried loading a couple different types of ammo with the same results of the hard to close bolt.

Thanks
idcwby

Without seeing the case it just sounds like there is something wrong with the extractor. Since it's new I'd just call Remington. Extractor is an easy fix.

Exactly, your extractor is having a hard time "snapping over the rim". You can either send it back for warranty work, or get a local smith to fix it quicker, you will just have to pay for it yourself. :)

The reason I say this is because the Remington extractor just "snaps" over the rim. Think of the extractor as a spring that snaps over the rim when closing the bolt. Then the spring tension surrounding or capturing the rim extracts the case while opening. Something isn't letting that extractor slip over the rim so you have to force the bolt close thus gouging the rim. This is what I "think" is happening without seeing the rifle.

Is it still safe to shoot or does the extractor need to fixed first?

Thanks
idcwby

I wouldn't trust anyone's advice on if it's safe to shoot. normally I'd say probably but without first hand seeing it that's risky. One thing that is a problem is you need to force the bolt close. that's not normal and could cause additional "camming" on the bolt bearing surfaces. If worn down enough you could change headspace.

Last edited:
Another thing that "could" happen is depending on how much force is required to close the bolt you could swag the loaded round. It's even possible to crimp the round which could increase your pressures. And none of this can be verified without seeing the rifle.

Call Remington, get an idea of what the turnaround time will be if you send it back to them for repair.

If that timing is too lengthy for your cousin, look up a local smith. It will be an out of pocket expense instead of being covered by Remington, but depending on their backlog, they may be able to service the rifle same day if it truly is an extractor issue. If it's more, time to fix (and cost) could also be more.

Yup if you have a good smith locally you could go that route also. This is all just an internet best guess. By the gouge or dent in the rim it could be the extractor. Or it could be just some debris or something on or in the bolt face. Can't really diagnose for sure without seeing it firsthand.

I have a Sendero that was exactly like this from the factory. After lots of head scratching, turned out the rivet that holds the extractor wasn't ground out properly. 1 minute fix with a dremel tool. Take the bolt out of the rifle and insert a fired case in the bolt. Easy to see if this is the issue. Gunsmith can fix in just a minute if this is the problem.

Sorry didn't finish. Insert cartridge under the extractor and tilt back toward center. Bet it hits the rivet opposite the extractor on the bolt face and is difficult to seat on the bolt face. Damage to rim is from rivet, not extractor. It was just a little, and I thought damage was from extractor until I carefully extracted a fired case from the gun. Your cases just like the ones that came out of my gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts