Remington 700 ADL to semi-custom help/ideas

tdh1971

Guys, I have a really good shooter in an old 700 ADL that I bought 20 years ago. I would like to lighten it up for Elk and Mule deer hunting. I have looked at new stocks. Mesa and Mcmillan are two that caught my eye. I would need to convert to a BDL magazine. Would also like to put a brake on it. Any ideas in what I could do? Trying to keep the project at around $1000. Thanks.

I did the same sort of thing with an ADL I bought used in 1975. It was originally made in 1965 as a 7mm Rem Mag. It wasn't a very good shooter as is. I decided to convert it to 300 Win Mag a few years ago and have the barreled Action Ceracoated. I then bought a used HS Precision stock with BDL floor place and magazine pieces, changed the trigger to a Timney, and put it together. It turned out really nice and is a great shooter.

AG Composites makes some very nice carbon fiber stocks. I have a couple different AG models on rifles and they are top notch quality. Company owned by US military veterans. Their customer service is top notch as well.

Greyboe now makes the outlander ultralight stock (24oz) at an excellent price ($339 at redhawk rifles) that looks very promising. As for brakes, there are lots of good ones on the market. Assuming your barrel isn't already threaded, the important thing is to have a reputable gunsmith do the work. A poor job can screw up the accuracy of your rifle, They usually have a favorite that they like to use.

I am bedding and painting my Brown Precision stock now. Around 600 including bedding and paint. Stock weights 20 oz as received. Another option is wildcat composite at about 17 oz and $300. Neither of these are finished so if you don't do that yourself you would have to spend extra.
I would definitely wait on getting a brake until after you get the new stock and recoil pad. You may be surprised how much less recoil you feel with a good pad and properly fitted stock.
I went with the brown stock because it is light and helps absorb recoil. I will probably end up getting a mag-na-port job on my rifle after this season. Cost around$300. Not as effective at cutting recoil,but not as loud as a break either. Probably my main reason for getting this is it reduces muzzle jump a lot.
I talked with Mark Brown multiple times and found him a great guy to deal with. So far I really like my stock(haven't shot yet). I will admit it is a bit harder to work with,but the extra work is worth it to me.

Did same thing back in 2004 or so, same era rifle and it's been through a couple slight changes. First was change to a Rem classic stock and bdl bottom metal. Then installed a QwickClip for a few years. Now it has Rem factory DBM installed. Stripped the classic stock to bare wood and finished with Spar Varnish. Bedded the action and first couple inches of barrel. But it's not any lighter. :( In photo top stock is original, I like the lines of the classic better. Interestingly my father owned this rifle back in the 70's, sold it to a co-worker, who sold it after many years to another coworker, whom I bought it from for $300 including the Leupold 2.5-8 scope.

Attachments

• 7mag.jpg
    7mag.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.