Remington 700 ADL feeding issues rum and Nosler?

Mram10us

Has anyone modified an adl mag box for rum/Nosler cartridges to feed? I'm not going to convert to a BDL or anything else, so just ideas on the adl box please. Thanks

Ideas so far:
1. Use a BDL box and lengthen the sides
2. Use a BDL box and fill the bottom of the stock mag area to the correct height

Last edited:
If I was going down this road I would use a Wyatt and weld a small tab on the back so you can hold the box in the action like Remington does. The back of the box is about .280" thicker on the adl but it serves very little purpose. The follower spring is rounded in the back so it's not likely to catch under the rear of the box. If it does to can always add a small piece to the rear of the box.

If I was going down this road I would use a Wyatt and weld a small tab on the back so you can hold the box in the action like Remington does. The back of the box is about .280" thicker on the adl but it serves very little purpose. The follower spring is rounded in the back so it's not likely to catch under the rear of the box. If it does to can always add a small piece to the rear of the box.
Copy, thanks. Wyatt is out because of cost. Cut adl down the BDL before, but haven't tried this. Get some sleep Nathan :)

Mram10us, i have ground down magazine boxes on belt sander to make them shorter when needed.

IdahoCTD , can you offer any suggestion on what I am missing doing on my Wyatt CFE box for 700SA and 7 SAUM. It works great for one round but with two it pops first round up at too much of angle.

I have made up lip bending tool but using rifle for pigs right now. So it is 2 shooter right now.

Thanks

Mram10us, i have ground down magazine boxes on belt sander to make them shorter when needed.

IdahoCTD , can you offer any suggestion on what I am missing doing on my Wyatt CFE box for 700SA and 7 SAUM. It works great for one round but with two it pops first round up at too much of angle.

I have made up lip bending tool but using rifle for pigs right now. So it is 2 shooter right now.

Thanks
I have done the adl to bdl conversion also, but this is the opposite. Need to lengthen the mag box

How about heating back 2 90's of mag box to 1 st straighten and then rebend at correct length. Then need to TIG small spacer to rejoin back of mag box.

Depending on stock I've built ADLs without any mag box or just cut the mag box and epoxy into the stock.
Typically just Wyatt's it, hard to believe you'd be shooting that class of cartridge and worry about a 30 dollar box?

Last edited:
Depending on stock I've built ADLs without any mag box or just cut the mag box and epoxy into the stock.
Typically just Wyatt's it, hard to believe you'd be shooting that class of cartridge and worry about a 30 dollar box?
You epoxied a BDL box into an adl stock? How did you make a repeater without a box?

There are a few basic things you need in a mag box in a RUM class case, the base of the case needs guided up to the rails, you need the follower to be in the correct position so the step on the follower holds the case correctly under the rails, the case needs the correct access to the rails and the front needs to deliver the nose of the bullet clean up to the ramp. You can take a mag box that would otherwise work except for length and split it and epoxy it in place and you have an extended mag box, obviously you need to make sure it'll work so a little double sided tape to help hold it while getting it dialed work. Put a center feed follower on the bottom of the spring and run a rum follower on top and tune the spring position then clamp it down when it's not diving.
I've done a couple ultra lites that I ordered without mag cut out then I milled it out to make the box and glued two strips of thin metal on the front and back so the case would not bang into just stock foam under recoil, works with WSM size cases that you remover the top 1/4 inch of a normal box of anyways to get good access to the side rails.

There are a few basic things you need in a mag box in a RUM class case, the base of the case needs guided up to the rails, you need the follower to be in the correct position so the step on the follower holds the case correctly under the rails, the case needs the correct access to the rails and the front needs to deliver the nose of the bullet clean up to the ramp. You can take a mag box that would otherwise work except for length and split it and epoxy it in place and you have an extended mag box, obviously you need to make sure it'll work so a little double sided tape to help hold it while getting it dialed work. Put a center feed follower on the bottom of the spring and run a rum follower on top and tune the spring position then clamp it down when it's not diving.
I've done a couple ultra lites that I ordered without mag cut out then I milled it out to make the box and glued two strips of thin metal on the front and back so the case would not bang into just stock foam under recoil, works with WSM size cases that you remover the top 1/4 inch of a normal box of anyways to get good access to the side rails.
Any pics to better explain? Why wouldn't the BDL mag box work if slightly lengthened height wise?

No pics, kinda just making it work, never thought about it. Like you said you could just cut a block and drop it in the bottom but then you might loose your second round down, I always keep as much depth as possible to increase feeding reliability vs mashing the follower to the deck. Literally a couple dabs of epoxy will hold a mag box, the issue with feeding RUMs is more length and width so they sit under the rail right.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.