Remington 700 action life

steinimal

I have the opportunity to buy a very used Remington 700 which was one of our old Snuper rifles at work. The HS stock has a crack (junked) The barrel was inspected by a smith who said that there are micro fissures in the chamber (junked). Basically i'd be purchasing it as a used action to have a new barrel spun on with a new stock. It's a short action that is currently chambered in 308. It has been estimated that it has 7000+ rounds through it. My question is in regards to the lifespan of the action. If like to get a few more rebarrels out of the action. I'm looking at maybe a 260 or 243 in either standard faire or AI.

Sounds like someone broke it in for you. I don't know about a factory action but I would think after being blueprinted properly it would last forever and 7k rounds through it shouldn't be anything to worry about after being inspected. Just my opinion I'm sure someone will jump in and give you a better answer.

I have the opportunity to buy a very used Remington 700 which was one of our old Snuper rifles at work. The HS stock has a crack (junked) The barrel was inspected by a smith who said that there are micro fissures in the chamber (junked). Basically i'd be purchasing it as a used action to have a new barrel spun on with a new stock. It's a short action that is currently chambered in 308. It has been estimated that it has 7000+ rounds through it. My question is in regards to the lifespan of the action. If like to get a few more rebarrels out of the action. I'm looking at maybe a 260 or 243 in either standard faire or AI.

I have a 700 short action in 308 that has more than 23,000 rounds through it and it is fine and operates smoothly.

It has been taken care of but shows no signs of giving up the 1/2 moa accuracy it can produce
with iron sites.

Have it blue printed (Trued) and you will be fine.

J E CUSTOM

Awesome! My last issued rifle was a 700P with about 8,000 rounds through it. The barrel was starting to give up the ghost. We now have FN SPR A3s in 308. Very nice rifle. Maybe I should stick with the 308 as I have about 700 rounds of once fired Hornady brass from out TAP rounds.

My 7stw's action has had at least three barrels on it (I'm guessing 4 or more) and she is capable of better than 1/2 moa with decent loadings. Take care of your action and don't stress it with overloads and it should go nearly forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts