Remington 700 7mm Rem mag conversion

jwcrabb

Guys,
I have an older Remington 700 in 7mm Remington magnum that I have no use for. I've had it for a long time, so I hate to just get rid of it. I'd like to convert it to some other non magnum caliber. I really would prefer to use the existing barrel and rechamber it to a 7mm-08. But I don't think I have enough mass in the factory barrel for that. Can I just rebarrel it, or will it require a new bolt and extensive rework? Suggestions?

If you have no use for it, I'll give you $150 for it shipped to my local FFL...

Non-magnum calibers require a standard bolt face, not a magnum bolt face. So you will have to change the bolt or bolt body out to one that has a standard face on it.

Also, you will be better off in the long-run rebarreling instead of cutting that chamber back and reaming it out. I would go with a 1:9 twist regardless of what 7mm caliber you choose.

What caliber do you have plans for?

Also while the smith has the barrel off, you will want them to true and square the action and bolt face. If you plan on reusing the factory stock have them float the barrel and bed the action and recoil lug while they have everything off.

You could ream the chamber out to a 7mm STW, which would be a whole different caliber. It's like racing a Corvette (7mm RM) against a Lamborghini (7mm STW). The Lambo's gonna win every time.

I love the 7mm RM, I have 2 of them.

But I also love my 7mm STW...It's a whole different ballgame.

To go to something other than a mag cal you'll need to change the bolt or body as stated before. That is going to require some smith work, and if your going to a smaller case design then yea I would think a rebarrel is in order so as Mudrunner said may as well have the whole action tuned while your at it. From there what you decide to go with, the list of possibilities is looonngg:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.