remington 700 5r or 700p in 300 win mag? HELP

newbiggame27

Hello all,
I've been thinking about this for quite a while but I can't decide which is better: the remington 700 5r or 700 police in 300 win mag. I was hoping people with more experience would be able to tell me or at least help me to decide. If there are any other rifles you feel would be more appropriate please list them I will not be offended by anything that you feel might be helpful. This rifle will be mostly for hunting and a small amount of target shooting. Recoil is not a big issue but of course I don't want to punish myself. I have never bought a Remington 700 but am looking at them for the inherent accuracy I hear they have. So far the only Brand and rifle I do have is Savage. I don't need this to be a 1000 yard rifle, 600 would most likely be my max.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello all,
I've been thinking about this for quite a while but I can't decide which is better: the remington 700 5r or 700 police in 300 win mag. I was hoping people with more experience would be able to tell me or at least help me to decide. If there are any other rifles you feel would be more appropriate please list them I will not be offended by anything that you feel might be helpful. This rifle will be mostly for hunting and a small amount of target shooting. Recoil is not a big issue but of course I don't want to punish myself. I have never bought a Remington 700 but am looking at them for the inherent accuracy I hear they have. So far the only Brand and rifle I do have is Savage. I don't need this to be a 1000 yard rifle, 600 would most likely be my max.
Thanks in advance for your help.

My choice was the 5r for the stainless, but I believe the 700p would get you what you want for less money.

I was thinking the same way and do not mind not having stainless. Just not sure if this is where I should be look or something else. I'm leaning toward the 700p because of the Kevlar embedded stock for strength in the field.

The 5r has the same stock design. The biggest difference is, of course stainless, but the 5r has the same hammer forged rifling pattern as the M24 sniper rifle. Other than those differences the models are similar.

newbiggame27, The 5r, & the 700P are similar, but, not the same. Yes, 5R, is stainless, & the 700P, is not. I'm not 100% sure, but, I think the stocks are slightly different between the two. Both are a heavy barrel model, so they won't be the lightest to pack around hunting! I actually found a gently used 5R-300 Win Mag, at a gunshow this past weekend. Now, I have all three calibers offered in the 5R, 223, 308, & now the 300WM. Unlike some folks, I like the HS Precision stock on the 5R. I think if possible, it would be good to look at each in person to see which you prefer. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy either way, But, my preference is : 5r, all the way! Idaho-5R

newbiggame27, The 5r, & the 700P are similar, but, not the same. Yes, 5R, is stainless, & the 700P, is not. I'm not 100% sure, but, I think the stocks are slightly different between the two. Both are a heavy barrel model, so they won't be the lightest to pack around hunting! I actually found a gently used 5R-300 Win Mag, at a gunshow this past weekend. Now, I have all three calibers offered in the 5R, 223, 308, & now the 300WM. Unlike some folks, I like the HS Precision stock on the 5R. I think if possible, it would be good to look at each in person to see which you prefer. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy either way, But, my preference is : 5r, all the way! Idaho-5R

You're missing the 6.8 SPC... They're rare, but they made those, too. :D

My vote goes 5R all the way. The 5R rifling is unbeatable for ease of cleaning. It also doesn't create a pinch-point in the bullet's jacket when it's traveling down the bore, compared to even-numbered rifling (4, 6, 8 groove).

Having owned 5R's in both 308 and 300WM, I am a strong fan of this rifle due to the barrel. In 300WM it is available in 24" or 26". In addition to my own rifles, several others that I have have observed also delivered competition grade accuracy right out of the box, and demonstrated characteristics typical of custom grade barrels. They clean quickly, and, in my experience will hold accuracy with extended shooting between cleanings. These are claims of the 5R rifling when chosen for the M24 sniper rifle by the military, that appear to have merit. Being a non-catalog item, I believe they are given an extra measure of fitment and QC when produced. The stock is a top quality HS precision stock that has a wider firearm, and Wundhammer styled grip which is slightly more vertical with a mild palm swell compared to the more sporter-type stock on the police. The trigger is the Mark-X that I would replace with a Jewel or Timney. Finally, it has an all stainless barreled action.

5r has shorter barrel and the stock is a little shorter than the 700 p. Either or are nice rifles, the police has the 40x trigger, not sure what the 5r has.

24" is just fine for a .308 Win... You really don't need a 26" barrel for a case capacity as small as the .308, IMO. So, he really won't be missing anything, by going with the 24" 5R.

Thanks for the insight. I agree that 24" would be fine for a .308 but I'm looking at the 300 wm. I am leaning toward the 700p because of price and availability. Would this be as fid of choice as say the savage long range hunter, or the ruger magnum hunter?

Thanks for the insight. I agree that 24" would be fine for a .308 but I'm looking at the 300 wm. I am leaning toward the 700p because of price and availability. Would this be as fid of choice as say the savage long range hunter, or the ruger magnum hunter?

I have a 26" 5R .300WM, as well as my 24" .308 5R. You can't go wrong if it's a 5R Milspec, IMO. You will need to do a trigger swap immediately, but you'll have to do that with just about every factory rifle out there these days, thanks to all the lawyers.

Good to know! How is the stock on it and how much for say a time trigger? I am new to anything custom on a rifle so any help would be appreciated.

The stocks on the 5R Milspecs are HS Precision stocks. They come with full aluminum bedding blocks in them. Most of the 5R's will shoot lights-out, straight out of the box with handloads. If it does not, the worst you would need to do is have the action glass-bedded into the stock, then have the barrel floated, and the action screws torqued properly to 65 inch/lbs.

HS Precision stocks are phenomenal stocks. They are excellent quality, on-par with Manners and McMillan, they just don't carry that ridiculous pricetag that the others do. I personally think they're better than the basic Manners or McM stocks, because the HS comes with a FL aluminum bedding block, and you have to pay a couple hundred more to have one put into your Manners or McM stock when they are building it, because they don't come with them standard.

Timney triggers are nice, personally I would recommend a Jewell. Jewells are the best trigger there is, however, they are often sold out everywhere, and the next best option would be the Timney. They are also great triggers, and are quite often more readily available.

Timney Rifle Trigger Remington 700 40X Safety 1-1/2 to 4 lb Blue

Jewell Rifle Trigger Remington 700 40X Safety 1-1/2oz to 3 lb SS

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.