Remington 700 5R Muzzle Brake?

For the money you can't beet Ross's brake he also has 4 port brakes I like the beast also from muzzle brake and more

He recommends 3 port for the magnum calibers and the 2 port for lesser energy rounds.
Just diminishing returns with the extra ports for cartridges with smaller gas generation... The brakes act by the gas interacting with the walls of the ports. With thinner barrels of hunting rigs, you need to be careful not to use a brake with vertical ports, without matching ports on the bottom. In some situations, the gas acting on the upper ports can actually deflect the barrel down, unless an offsetting port is used. The downside, is that the bottom ports will kick up a lot of dust and debris from the prone position.

I am a fan of precision armaments.
The efab has some of the lowest reported concussion impulse (with 50 percentage reduction in recoil).

Their new hyper tap claims 84 reduction with lower angle (35) than previous versions.

You said you didn't know much about brakes yet. Do yourself a favor and read up on these couple of articles. I found them useful before myself & my son decided what do use. My two favorites right now are the JP Eliminator (if you can handle the looks, most people say it looks like a tank brake...that is 1/2 of what I like about it the other more important 1/2 is that it is the best for staying on target if you want to see impacts) My second favorite right now is ZRO Delta. I have a generation 1 on my 300PRC and on my 223 (not that it needs it) but they probably have more recoil reduction than the JP but don't stay on target quite as good. The second generation ZRO delta is even better than the gen1. The ZRO delta isn't as harsh on the bench next to you where the JP is a little more noisy for the guy next to you. This is what I have experience with other than cheapo brakes that came on stuff I've bought, most of them didn't do much for recoil reduction and did a lot to make it very loud. OH last suggestion, when using a brake if you can double up on your ears. (foamies & ears...it will make you a better shot...I didn't believe it, don't like wearing muffs but it turns out to be true)

OK...links for you...
PRB Muzzle Brake Summary (lots of related links on this page)
PRB What the pros use
There is also a cheater solution of a clamp on brake. Ugly maybe but cost wise if you aren't already shooting a threaded barrel...can't beat it. I'm going to try this one on a factory .308 that I have just because.
Whitt Machine

Those side discharge muzzle breaks are absolutely horrendous in concussion that it puts on your head along with noise. You had better wear ear muffs of some kind. Hearing damage is accumulative.

I have 4 kinds of side discharge brakes, and I like the Gentry muzzle break for being quieter.

The obvious other question is do you intend to ever shoot a suppressor? If so SilencerCo's ASR Brake does a surprisingly good job.

If not the JE CUSTOM gets my vote, we run them on bolt rifles and AR-10's & AR-15's They are one of few brakes that actually negate muzzle rise, and in some testing have actually produced negative muzzle rise...

S/F

Tim

For my entertainment and "research" I have actually had to make holes in the lower sides to stop the rifle from going down when fired. I want one that does not move up, down or sideways. I like to be able to see 100 yard impact even when the scope is set on 20X.

I found "thin" wall brakes are not as effective as "thick" wall brakes.

Bigger cartridges can certainly make good use of more ports. I made a four port brake for a .257 Wea.
December 24, 2014

Took the slide to the range. The temp was about 45 degrees and it was raining. The slide was wet. With no brake on the unscoped Savage .257 Wea (about five pounds thirteen ounces) the three shots slid the rifle 72 inches. The aluminum brake with four slots .800" long and .312" wide reduced the travel on the wet slide to 12 9/16" for three shots. I cut off the brake right in front of the third slot and fired the rifle three more times. The travel was 14 13/16" for three shots. It looks like more slots are better than fewer. With the forth slot gone there was almost 20% more free recoil travel.

Look up the terminator - 2 and Terminator-3 brakes. Have them on my 338 lapua and 338 edge. The Lapua is an 12 gun and the edge weighs 10.9. The Terminator 3 brake reduces these below a 308 felt recoil. Both guns will shoot one ragged hole a 100 yards, so brake does not affect accuracy.
Theses brakes are on video on you tube.

Hello all,

Looking for some muzzle brake recommendations for my rem 700 5r 300 WM. I'd like this to be as "hunting friendly" as possible, being suitable for standing/prone hunting shots as well as prone shots when target practicing.

Thank you all in advance.
I would suggest finding a local gunsmith to do the work and get advice from. You can go see their work and look at brakes they may have made or have in stock. You're in Washington there are a bunch of smiths around that can do a brake locally.

Hello all,

Looking for some muzzle brake recommendations for my rem 700 5r 300 WM. I'd like this to be as "hunting friendly" as possible, being suitable for standing/prone hunting shots as well as prone shots when target practicing.

I would recommend one of the - Seekins Precision Muzzle Brakes -

Just diminishing returns with the extra ports for cartridges with smaller gas generation... The brakes act by the gas interacting with the walls of the ports. With thinner barrels of hunting rigs, you need to be careful not to use a brake with vertical ports, without matching ports on the bottom. In some situations, the gas acting on the upper ports can actually deflect the barrel down, unless an offsetting port is used. The downside, is that the bottom ports will kick up a lot of dust and debris from the prone position.

So pretty much the obvious lol

Depends on your goal. For max recoil reduction I'd go with something like one of the Bastard brakes. But IMHO you don't need that for a 300WM.

For my 338 Edge I went with a Heathen as I believed the 90 degree rear ports would result in less concussion on the shooter and especially a spotter likely to be right to the side in a hunting situation. Having shot both of these brakes testing this situation, both ,e and the spotter agreed the Heathen is less bothersome. But it doesn't reduce recoil quite as much so...trade offs. But on a 300WM I would go Heathen again and will next year when I rebuild my 300WM.

APA Little Bastard works great on a couple of my rifles
I can't remember the name of the guy who published the article, but he tested multiple brakes on multiple calibers. For 300 WM (which I was interested in), the APA Little Bastard was the best for reduction of measured recoil (40% reduction) and muzzle rise. So I bought one for about $120, and love it.
Re the threads: 5/8" --24 is standard for 30 cal brakes and suppressors. And $100 is standard cost to have a machinist add threads to the end of your barrel.

Hello all,

Terminator brakes out of New Zealand, I have one on a 300 rum works a treat, recoil reduction is fantastic.

Check out my YouTube videos shooting a 5r 300 win mage with various brakes. The JP eliminator is the best, BY FAR and their 3 port comp is pretty close and for most people is more attractive. I guarantee the more you shoot the eliminator the more you'll come to love it and it will look better too. I included a PWS and Jerry Miculek comp for comparison.
JP eliminator:
JP 3 port Comp:
PWS PRC 30 Comp:
Jerry Miculek Clone Comp:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.