Remington 700 5r milspec 300wm

timmay

Any of you own a Rem700 5r milspec 300WM and if so how is it on accuracy without any mods. Ive heard so much good things on the 308 but cant find much info on the 300.

I tested my factory 5r with several different factory loads, including premium rounds, and the ones that shot the best, consistantly, were the Winchester Super-X 150 and 180gr Power Points. Worked for me, as they were the cheapest things on the shelf and has a great reputation for a factory round.So I worked up a drop chart for the 180 grains and shot a few boxes, killed a couple deer too.

3-shot groups averaged 1", sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Out at 400 yards I shot a couple 5-shot groups and was getting right at 4" with a 1/2 value wind. Even with that, I had a bit more dispersion vertically than I did on the horizontal, so that points to velocity changes out the barrel, even though I didn't use a chrono. Hopefully I can tailor a load when I get back from overseas, and hope to hold 1/2 moa.

No mods except I took 1/2" off the stock and mounted a Limbsaver Recoil pad. With the weight of the gun, scope & mounts, I had no problem shooting a couple boxes through it from the bench. I really like that Limbsaver recoil pad. The factory stock (made by HS Precision) had several "imperfections" on the aluminum bedding blocks, so I'm pretty sure a skim bed would have helped it out a bit.

When I was doing research before I bought mine, It seemed the groups people were reporting for the 308 were around 1/2 moa, and for the 300wm between 1/2 and 1". Mine showed just that, right at 1" with no mods, no muzzle brake and shooting the cheap rounds.

Hope this helps.

Chris

I tested my factory 5r with several different factory loads, including premium rounds, and the ones that shot the best, consistantly, were the Winchester Super-X 150 and 180gr Power Points. Worked for me, as they were the cheapest things on the shelf and has a great reputation for a factory round.So I worked up a drop chart for the 180 grains and shot a few boxes, killed a couple deer too.

3-shot groups averaged 1", sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Out at 400 yards I shot a couple 5-shot groups and was getting right at 4" with a 1/2 value wind. Even with that, I had a bit more dispersion vertically than I did on the horizontal, so that points to velocity changes out the barrel, even though I didn't use a chrono. Hopefully I can tailor a load when I get back from overseas, and hope to hold 1/2 moa.

No mods except I took 1/2" off the stock and mounted a Limbsaver Recoil pad. With the weight of the gun, scope & mounts, I had no problem shooting a couple boxes through it from the bench. I really like that Limbsaver recoil pad. The factory stock (made by HS Precision) had several "imperfections" on the aluminum bedding blocks, so I'm pretty sure a skim bed would have helped it out a bit.

When I was doing research before I bought mine, It seemed the groups people were reporting for the 308 were around 1/2 moa, and for the 300wm between 1/2 and 1". Mine showed just that, right at 1" with no mods, no muzzle brake and shooting the cheap rounds.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because I am trading an AR10 and I have two different trade offers. One is the Rem700 5r milspec 300WM and the other is the Rem700PSS 308 and I just cant decide if I want the 300wm for its flatter, longer range abilities or the lower recoiling, cheaper to load 308.

Not a problem. I put a couple boxes through without any problems on several occasions. But, I didn't get this rifle to spend all day at the range. This one's for long-range Elk and Deer.

Two good rifles either way. Shoot, why not have em both :D

Chris

Why are you trading the Ar-10 ? Don't you like it ?

I do like it, I love it actually. The problem is I have to move to California for work and the AR10 is illegal there, and Im not going to have that bullet button installed and buy all new mags just to be legal. So Ive decided to trade or sell it for a good 308 bolt and not deal with the hassle

Here is some info on my recently purchased 5R 300 WM.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/remington-5r-nearing-completion-91227/

Here is a video link of me shooting it suppressed.

[ame="http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr203/bacreer/Videos/?action=view&current=MVI_0379.mp4"]Videos :: MVI_0379.mp4 video by bacreer - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid484.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr203%2Fbacreer%2FVideos%2FMVI_0379.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid484.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr203%2Fbacreer%2FVideos%2FMVI_0379.mp4[/ame]

Brent thats an awesome looking setup. That picture of your 110 yard group is outstanding.
I guess the claim that a 300WM cant be as accurate as a 308 is a myth

Brent thats an awesome looking setup. That picture of your 110 yard group is outstanding.
I guess the claim that a 300WM cant be as accurate as a 308 is a myth

Plenty of long range records have been won with a 300 Win mag. The 5R is a solid rifle for sure.

What model is your AR10?

Plenty of long range records have been won with a 300 Win mag. The 5R is a solid rifle for sure.

What model is your AR10?

Armalite lower/upper
Noveske 18" barrel with AAC flash hider
PRI tube
PRI gasbuster charging handle
PRS stock
GG&G front/rear sights

I really dont want to get rid of it. Im thinking of just keeping it in AZ where I live and bringing whatever California legal guns I have with me.
I may only be there for the summer, Im not sure if its going to be a permanent move or not. But if I do end up trading, a rem700 5r would be nice. I also like the FN SPR

Armalite lower/upper
Noveske 18" barrel with AAC flash hider
PRI tube
PRI gasbuster charging handle
PRS stock
GG&G front/rear sights

I really dont want to get rid of it. Im thinking of just keeping it in AZ where I live and bringing whatever California legal guns I have with me.
I may only be there for the summer, Im not sure if its going to be a permanent move or not. But if I do end up trading, a rem700 5r would be nice. I also like the FN SPR

Keep the AR10 for sure. While the 5R is a solid rifle, I don't think the trade is a fair deal without some extra cash involved for your AR10. You can find lightly used 5Rs for under 1K quite regularly, and I'm absolutely sure your AR10 is worth more than that. If you must trade your AR10, consider getting both the bolt guns you mentioned in your first post for it.

Keep the AR10 for sure. While the 5R is a solid rifle, I don't think the trade is a fair deal without some extra cash involved for your AR10. You can find lightly used 5Rs for under 1K quite regularly, and I'm absolutely sure your AR10 is worth more than that. If you must trade your AR10, consider getting both the bolt guns you mentioned in your first post for it.

ya its woth almost double but the trade was going to include a sightron s3 scope, forester dies, 20 moa badger rail and badger rings and 200 rounds with 210gr berger vld's to make up the difference.
That deal fell through, so Ive decided just to keep it

You certainly won't go wrong with the M700 5R .300WM and with a little doctoring by a good gunsmith and a replacement trigger you may do better than 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. Mine does.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.