Remington 700 5r 300 win mag

XParaman

Two years ago I purchased a supposedly new Remington 700 5r rifle from a company In Wy. I have had some very serious medical issues and have been unable to go out and shoot the rifle. No hunting, nothing. So, I am beginning to feel better so I thought I would start getting the rifle ready so that when the weather got better, we have been getting snow, I would go out and finally get to put some rounds down range. I have to load some rounds and get it all set up. Well, I always clean my rifles before going out. I used some Bore tech to run some patches through the barrel, and low and behold the first patch came out completely green. I had soaked the patch and ran it through, nothing special. But, it was evident that there was a lot of copper in this barrel. After several more patches and a nylon bore brush it started to lose the green color on the patches. My though is that ths rifle has been shot quite a bit. I sent an email to Remington to see how many if any rounds they shoot in production rifles, if they do, to insure that it is not there. I also sent an email to the company who sold me the rifle to see if they buy rifles from other dealers. This was supposed to be a new in box rifle. I did not want to make accusations at this point. But has anyone seen this much copper coming our of a supposed new in box rifle? I have not seen this much copper coming out of a rifle after going to the range and shooting. What is your opinion?

Two years ago I purchased a supposedly new Remington 700 5r rifle from a company In Wy. I have had some very serious medical issues and have been unable to go out and shoot the rifle. No hunting, nothing. So, I am beginning to feel better so I thought I would start getting the rifle ready so that when the weather got better, we have been getting snow, I would go out and finally get to put some rounds down range. I have to load some rounds and get it all set up. Well, I always clean my rifles before going out. I used some Bore tech to run some patches through the barrel, and low and behold the first patch came out completely green. I had soaked the patch and ran it through, nothing special. But, it was evident that there was a lot of copper in this barrel. After several more patches and a nylon bore brush it started to lose the green color on the patches. My though is that ths rifle has been shot quite a bit. I sent an email to Remington to see how many if any rounds they shoot in production rifles, if they do, to insure that it is not there. I also sent an email to the company who sold me the rifle to see if they buy rifles from other dealers. This was supposed to be a new in box rifle. I did not want to make accusations at this point. But has anyone seen this much copper coming our of a supposed new in box rifle? I have not seen this much copper coming out of a rifle after going to the range and shooting. What is your opinion?
All factory Remingtons get shot at the factory for test firing (accuracy) & proper function testing. They use crappy factory Remington ammo (which is horribly nasty and cheap). This could be part of what you're seeing on the barrel patches. Both of my 5R Milspecs had alot of crap and dirt, dust, and cosmoline in the barrels (my 5R .300WM almost looked like it had rust in the barrel, but it wasn't) from manufacturing & from sitting on the shelves for a long time at the gun store. But after a few wet patches with RemOil (to push the bulk of the dust & oil out), and then a quick brushing with Pro-Shot Copper Solvent IV & a copper brush, followed up with a few wet patches with RemOil, then patching them dry, everything cleaned up just fine, and just smooth shiny white metal was showing. No issues.

Also, check for brass shavings on the bolt face to see if it has been shot alot, it should show very small and fine brass shavings (around the ejector, extractor, and firing pin hole) and if the brass was cleaned out, possibly some silver discoloration in those areas where the blueing is rubbing off, if it has been shot more than a couple test rounds at the factory.

Another possibility could be... Sometimes a gun is sent back to the manufacturer (before it is ever sold to a consumer) if there was an issue that the dealer noticed, and then the gun is repaired, tested again, and sent back out to the dealer for purchase...It does happen, but it is rare.

Curious to hear the responses from Rem and the company you bought it from.

Well, I believe I have my answer. This is the reply I got from the dealer. As you can see, I never asked about selling the gun, and he avoided answering the question I asked.

Hello, good to hear from you! I do appreciate you asking, but you would be much better off trying to sell your rifle yourself outright if you can. You would get your most return out of it that way, and also not have to pay to ship it to our store. When we purchase this to resell on our website, we purchase things at a wholesale price If you haven't shot your rifle yet, I would still have to sell it as used, and I don't feel like I could treat you right on it. Thank you for asking though, and I am glad things are starting to turn around for you! I hope to hear from you again someday in the future. Take care,

Jamie

Home
| Buy Guns | Sell Guns | My Account

I purchased a rifle from you approx 2 yrs ago. It was a Remington 700 5r in 300 win mag. I have had some medical issues that has prevented me from using the gun. It has set and has never been fired by me. My question is, do you buy these guns from someone other then a wholesale distributor. I am finally feeling well enough again to start shooting again. I decided to do a cleaning on the rifle since it has set, and I always do this with new rifles, no matter what. When I used some bore tech to clean the barrel, I got a lot of green on the patch. I do not mean like it had been fired once or twice, but the whole patch was green. I did this several times and still was getting copper out of it. Also, there was a lot of carbon and burnt powder. Its as though this rifle has been fired with many rounds. I am a very experience shooter, and Retired SFC from the Army, so I know guns. This gun has had many rounds put through it. Which is why I ask, did you possibly buy this rifle from another gun dealer?

Glad you are felling better.

After you cleaned it, did you shoot it? If so how did it do?

You said it sat awhile since you were unable to get out. Could be like mentioned test fired remnants.

I live in Virginia and it gets humid. I tried leaving my 5r dirty when I was done. Six months later I ran a patch through it and vowed never again will it go to bed dirty. Hunting season is different but soon as it's over back to bare steel and possibly a light oil. I think Remington steel is probably the cheapest they can get for production.

Glad you are felling better.

After you cleaned it, did you shoot it? If so how did it do?

You said it sat awhile since you were unable to get out. Could be like mentioned test fired remnants.

I live in Virginia and it gets humid. I tried leaving my 5r dirty when I was done. Six months later I ran a patch through it and vowed never again will it go to bed dirty. Hunting season is different but soon as it's over back to bare steel and possibly a light oil. I think Remington steel is probably the cheapest they can get for production.
I have not shot it yet. The weather here has been bad with snow so no go on the range. I was preparing to go when the weather cleared. I still have to load some ammo, got the components for what I want to try, just have to do it. But my reloading setup is in the basement and my knees have been killing me, and its hard to walk the stairs. Thats what happens when your a 71 yr old ex paratrooper. But, as soon as spring really arrives here, I will try it out

I began using Bore-tec a few years ago and made the mistake of using a brass bore jag. I got alot of green patches comming out of my bores,but they were a false positive due to the brass jag. I guess what I am asking is what type of jag are you using.
Glad you are feeling better. Take care

I began using Bore-tec a few years ago and made the mistake of using a brass bore jag. I got alot of green patches comming out of my bores,but they were a false positive due to the brass jag. I guess what I am asking is what type of jag are you using.
Glad you are feeling better. Take care

Most likely they are. They are tipton, and the look like they are made of brass. Would the whole patch from top to bottom be completely green when Using them? This would be something. I would feel pretty dumb, never thought of this since I have never had this problem before. Used some pretty potent cleaner, and never experienced this. Do other copper cleaners also have this problem?

When I began using bore tec,like I stated, I began getting alot of green coming out of the bores of my rifle. The entire patch was Irish. To make a long story short 75% of the green was due to the brass jag. Switched over to a jag that did not react with the bore-tec and all was good.

You can get nickel plated jags just for this purpose if you think it may be the issue. I still use my Montana Extreme jag in the beginning and run the last couple thru with the nickel jag. I do this simply because the nickel jag is slightly undersized and marketed for 270 and 7mm. I'm sure they probably make a standalone 30 version for your application.

You can get nickel plated jags just for this purpose if you think it may be the issue. I still use my Montana Extreme jag in the beginning and run the last couple thru with the nickel jag. I do this simply because the nickel jag is slightly undersized and marketed for 270 and 7mm. I'm sure they probably make a standalone 30 version for your application.
I ordered a set last night. It never occurred to me that it might be a problem. I will see what happens when I receive the new jags.

I got my new set of Jags today, and I tried them out, its not a false positive. I still have copper in the barrel. Iam now sure that this rifle has been used for more then testing at the Remington plant. I just did a quick swab through the barrel and there was still quite a bit of green on the patch. I have used a nylon bristle brush to help losesen up the stuff in there and used Boretech cleaner and Frog Lube. There is still carbon and copper coming out. I will do a more extensive cleaning as I did not get the jags until late evening. I am really disturbed that a dealer would sell a used gun as new. Not that the gun is beat up, but it was not new as advertised. Sad

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.