Remington 700 300 ultra

Bosox

This is my first post so please be gentle. I am sure this is a subject that has been asked many times and I have been searching old posts and ready fast and ferious.

I just bought a Remington 700 Sendero SFII 300 Ultra Mag,,and I want to get into mid long range shooting ,,,say 400 to 800 yards,,I have 204`s 22-250`s 243 270 280 222 that I shoot a lot and load for but would like to try something new on the large end.

So the next step is glass for the rifle, I have been reading about Leupolds LR, VXIII, and all the different reticle combos, also Burris scopes, mill dots and Bplex, and to be honest my head is spinning, some say turret scopes, some say custom reticles etc,, as expensive as the scopes are I want to do it right but also I only want to do it once,,so any help would be appreciated,,,sorry for rambling HELP

I have a Pact chrony, Lecia 1200 crf rangefinder, and a Lecia spotting scope

First off welcome aboard
Second I don't thing their are any "stupid" question

For the scope , well its all about personal preferance.
I like to dial in my hold over from 500yds on out with a big flat shooting rig such as yours so the Leupold MK-4 series scope would be a natural choice with their M-1 turrets costing a bit over $1000. I have a Burris Black Diamond in 8-32 x50mm that I'm realy liking it has the target style turrets but have caps to protect them and they cost aroun $600. Then you have the upper end scopes like NightForce which are great that run in $1500 range and IOR which I personaly feel for the money is the best glass out their for about the same price as the NightForce maybe a little less and then Schmidt & Bender which start around $1500 and go up to $2500.

Their areb a few other cheaper scopes out their like the SuperSniper series that for the money are pretty good scopes but are fixed power in the $300 class and Exotic Optics make a scope thats supposed to be realy nice in the $700 rangethen for a good bit less money you have all the other conventional scope with regular reticals and mil-dots , BDC reticals and so on that allow holding over instaed of dialing
but if you keep your range finder on you then dialing is the way to go , make yourself an accurate drop chart and you'll be alot happier than trying to hold over

JD gave some good advice. You may want to consider Meopta they make a 4X16X44 tactical with turrets and they are very good scopes. I own three of them and 5 Nightforce,so I have something to compare them to. I just purchased a 4X16X44 Meopta with turrets and rings out of the classifieds here for 560 dollars an excelent price. A 3.5X15X50 Nightforce you should be able to find new for around 1300 dolars maybe 1250. They do watch dealer pricing,but by calling and keeping the price to your self you can get them down a little,not a lot,but every little bit helps........

A range finder a chrono and a ballistics program such as exball and you are on your way to sucessful longrange shooting......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anything special required for rings and bases?

I was looking at the specs in the Leupold book and the 4.5-14 have the most elavation adjustment, but is 14 power enough?

[ QUOTE ]
Anything special required for rings and bases?

I was looking at the specs in the Leupold book and the 4.5-14 have the most elavation adjustment, but is 14 power enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Seekin Base's and ring are incredable and are less costly than Nightforce and Badger.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/products.asp

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive a 3.5X15 Nightforce and feel that it is plenty for an all round scope out to 1K and over for longer ranges I drive a 5.5X22 and I feel that it works............

As far as rings and bases go........I'd highly recomend you give ol' Donnie a shout at TPS http://www.tacticalprecision.com/
Nice guy to deal with and selling a great product. I've dealt with Donnie for a few years now and have always gotten great service!!!

just purchased a vortex viper scope 6 x 24. new to these scopes but hear they are good scopes. the warranty is awesome if something crazy happens. they have a razor HD about $2000.oo, little pricey for me. the viper was at $950.00 and feel a good place to start. will have a muzzle brake on the 7mm ultramag. I am a newb also to these guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.