Remington 700 260 build

https://www.stockysstocks.com/mcmillan-remington-varmint-700-788-600-fiberglass-stock.html
Just the higher comb on the varmint. The varmint is also .3" wider and has the semi beaver tail forend. I like the newer factory varmint special stocks over the older ones. The newer ones were darker and higher gloss. I can also hand hart use their other reamer on my barrel. They said it has a minimum .020" free bore. I'm waiting for a return email with specs or maybe their reamer manufacturer and part # I'm probably going to shoot a barnes lrx so if I go factory camber it won't mind a small jump to the lands.

.020" freebore is not much on a .260. You are going to be seating the heavies pretty deep, crunching powder. .06" is about as low as I would go. I had my rem 700 built into a competition rifle with a 28" Bartlein #9 and .220" freebore and a .296" neck. Shooting Sierra 142 match kings with .035" jump I am 2.910" coal, could feed out of the mag if I got an extended box installed. I wanted to wring every last bit I could out of my gun so I went a little crazy figuring my freebore. I even had my brother CAD my dummy rounds and chamber.

I can load up to 46.6 g of 4831 sc before I am compressing loads. Right now I am shooting 45.6g h4831 and getting 2880-2890 fps with .3-.4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I could probably get them tighter if I shot with a rear bag but I can't use one in competition so I don't practice with one. I have a HS precisio psv-096 stock, very similar to the ones Remington puts on the mil spec 5r rifles and I love it. No raised cheek piece, but a wide fore end and decent palm swell.

1r6fcx.jpg

I collected parts most most of last year, had it finished up at the beginning of March and shot high score of the match the first weekend of April. Have another shoot on Saturday and hope to be in the winners circle again.

Anyone know what the saami spec freebore is? If I end up having problems seating the longs I may just put a single shot follower in it. I can't remember the last time I shot something twice. I only carry 4 rounds anyways when it was 243. My .375 ruger #1 I carry 5. Mostly because I'm hoping for bear. And the last time I brought 2 bullets to my stand I shot 2 deer and then a buck came out... I got him 2 days later though.

I think it it .060 but I am not sure. I know guys shooting .080-.180 that are able to load from the standard rem box. I shoot with a guy that has .080" and is able to feed from AICS mags with no issue. I think his coal is 2.800.

Anyone know the max length you can eject a loaded round in a 700 sa? The more I think of this the less I mind the thought of a single shot. I currently hunt with one anyways. Now that I think of it I should have just went 6.5x284 single shot. But I've wanted a 260 for years and I should probably stick to that. I did just spend 160 on new dies anyways.

Others will have to chime in but I want to say the magic number to eject a loaded round from a short action 700 is right around 3.2". If you go longer than that you can always just remove the bolt. Aside from a misfire, I can't think of a reason you would need to eject a loaded round round in a hurry.

Craveman85,
Hondo64d brings up a good point with what happens sometimes with the VLD bullets when used in short/medium action. If going "single shot" is not an option. Try Our 6.5 130 gr AR-OTM-HUNTING bullet (#26195). Its a hybrid design that is made to be used at magazine length and is very tolerant of jump. Works on game just like a VLD.

Most likely I'll be using the barnes lex actually which I don't think is too long. I like eating to the hole without fear of my nephews eating tiny fragments of exploded bullets. I've seen how far the tiniest pieces of lead can make it from even a prefect shot. Haven't shot an animal with one since. With the exception of soft lead balls that don't shed any weight

Those billets look like they sit pretty deep in the case already. Load up some dummy rounds and use a comparator to find out your base-ogive measurement. Subtract 2.035 (case length) and you are left with the measurement from the case mouth-ogive. Cut your freebore .010" longer than that.

I tried a few different comparators, the Hornady one I have is very small, inside diameter measures .250. The one I settled on actually measures .256 inside, which is the same as the diameter of the rifling.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts