Remington 5R advice

Fair enough I run on numbers and 99.6 vs 101.2% means more than positions to me
Also you do realise that Hodgdon don't make their powders
This table supplied by ADI shows the ADI powders made by them in Australia and the ADI product name used in Australia and New Zealand, and the Hodgdon label for these powders in the US. (Source ADI).

http://revivaler.com/wp-content/upl...-and-ADI-The-Australian-Connection-10-ADI.jpg
Yes, I do know that Hodgdon doesn't make their own powders. They commission them to be made by ADI to their desired specs. I am aware of all this. But when you look at capacities vs. chamber pressures, the results show they are very different.

IMO,.. several things, "may" be going on,.. Like stated above, 1) try a different Powder/ Bullet combo. 2) If, the HS stock has an Aluminum bedding Accublock in it, it is already semi-pillar bedded but, might NOT, fit your action perfectly level or possibly, side to side "binding" and you may want to buy some of Ernie the Gunsmith's "pillar rings" and re-bed it with good clearance but supported by the "Rings",.. go online to see his "process" I just bedded my HS stock a .22-250 Rem Sporter and it shoot's SUB 1/2 MOA. Also check to make sure the Bbl. Shank area, is bedded about, 1.5 inches or so, to support that heavy Bbl. and check forearm area "free float" for, bbl "clearance" 3) Try cleaning the bore with some Barnes CR-10 to get the copper out, THEN put a tight fitting Patch, over, a Bronze brush and SLATHER ON some JB's Bore Cleaner to "Polish" your Throat/ Rifling land area, 20-25 strokes, then clean to remove the JB's (my Factory Tikka, T3, SS Lite, .270 WSM, shoots 1/2 -3/4 MOA, I used this cleaning process when rifle was New. Take it one step at, a time and Good Luck ! I was a Gunsmith for 23 years and bedded a bunch of accurate, rifles.
Hope this helps. PS; don't forget, to "prop up" ( support) the Barrel in front of forearm to keep the barrel from "sagging" while, Compound is drying !
Lefty I've found that a small star washer or flat washer or shim gives just enough clearance to get good bedding contact with the whole bedding block. It also raises both the action and the barrel just enough to ensure a perfect free float without altering the stock at all.

Yes, I do know that Hodgdon doesn't make their own powders. They commission them to be made by ADI to their desired specs. I am aware of all this. But when you look at capacities vs. chamber pressures, the results show they are very different.
That's because due to liability, insurance, and regulation it's become almost impossible to make powders in the US so they formulate their own and have them contracted out to Europe for the most part.

That's because due to liability, insurance, and regulation it's become almost impossible to make powders in the US so they formulate their own and have them contracted out to Europe for the most part.
Hopefully Trump will get on a pro-gun regulation kick sometime soon, now that the 9th Circus has started putting out pro-gun rulings in their legislation. Maybe now he can pass the HPA or SHUSH Act, and now that he's downsized the EPA and ITAR, maybe we can start making it here again, and prices will drop... Wouldn't that be great? Then we wouldn't have to rely on ADI or St. Marks... Hodgon could make their own powder again.

Here's where I stand on all that big brother regulation crap...

Make Reloading Great Again!
Make Guns Great Again!
Make Suppressors Unregulated Again!
Make SBR's Unregulated Again!
Make the NFA Nonexistent Again!

Hopefully Trump will get on a pro-gun regulation kick sometime soon, now that the 9th Circus has started putting out pro-gun rulings in their legislation. Maybe now he can pass the HPA or SHUSH Act, and now that he's downsized the EPA and ITAR, maybe we can start making it here again, and prices will drop... Wouldn't that be great? Then we wouldn't have to rely on ADI or St. Marks... Hodgon could make their own powder again.

Here's where I stand on all that big brother regulation crap...

Make Reloading Great Again!
Make Guns Great Again!
Make Suppressors Unregulated Again!
Make SBR's Unregulated Again!
Make the NFA Nonexistent Again!
We may have to wait until a second term for those. He's pretty focused on renegotiating trade deals and foreign policy for the foreseeable future.

My sendero 300 win mag shot h1000 at around 1-1.5 moa on average at 100 yards. H-4831sc is .5- .75 moa at 100 yards and easily moa out to 1000. Velocity is 2800 fps sd is around 5fps with no pressure. Load has 1500 ft lbs of energy at 1k. Retumbo shot better then h1000 but not as good as 4831sc. I also use non mag primers. I bedded the action and put a timney just like you. I wouldn't hesitate to try a few powders. Btw I couldn't get the 212 eldx to shoot under 1.5 moa. Point is some guns are picky.

Well after going to work for a couple weeks straight I got back home and got a couple days off. I went to the range with some loads I put together a couple of weeks ago. I had cleaned the bore with JB bore cleaner before I went so started off with a clean barrel. Things shot pretty bad the first couple groups like 1.5 to 2 min. Then I hit 77.4 gr of h1000 and all of a sudden my rifle shot.5 MOA. I tested 77.6 next and it shot .9 MOA. So I'm thinking 2 things happened today. 1 I found the accuracy node and 2 the barrel finally broke in with 80 rounds down the tube.

I told you not to worry... Sometimes they take a few to settle-in, and once they do, it will be quite impressive with good handloads. :D

Don't be afraid to try other powders, like 7977. I get single-digit ES and SD's testing with my MSv2. AND, it's burn rate is ****-near identical to H1000, so your velocity node will be the same, and your powder charge will be very similar as well. ;)

Maybe, but more than likely you fouled the barrel where it likes to shoot the best. All my rifles shoot the best when fouled.
Yep! I don't ever shoot for groups with a clean bore. I always shoot a few foulers before I test for groups. And to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I shoot 1 shot of each tested charge weight over a chrono and record my velocities, to see when I hit a pressure spike (velocity will jump noticeably), and I know where my safe max is before I shoot the others for groups, so I know that if I've loaded something too hot, not to shoot them, or proceed with caution.

I told you not to worry... Sometimes they take a few to settle-in, and once they do, it will be quite impressive with good handloads. :D

Don't be afraid to try other powders, like 7977. I get single-digit ES and SD's testing with my MSv2. AND, it's burn rate is ****-near identical to H1000, so your velocity node will be the same, and your powder charge will be very similar as well. ;)

Well I guess a few more rounds will tell if I need a power change. I'll be down in the big city this weekend so I think I'll grab a pound of 7977 and try it. Been sticking with H1000 because I have about 5 lbs on the shelf right now but maybe a change in powder would be a good idea.

Yep! I don't ever shoot for groups with a clean bore. I always shoot a few foulers before I test for groups. And to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I shoot 1 shot of each tested charge weight over a chrono and record my velocities, to see when I hit a pressure spike (velocity will jump noticeably), and I know where my safe max is before I shoot the others for groups, so I know that if I've loaded something too hot, not to shoot them, or proceed with caution.
The first thing I do after a thorough cleaning is shoot 3 foulers. I find doing anything else to be nothing but a waste of time and unnecessary frustration.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.