remington 40x

smart bomb

Picked up a like new left hand remington 40x in 280 remington for 900 bucks last year. I'd like to do a little hunting in the future with this one. Has anyone here had much in the way of experiance with Remington's 40x single shot? Good or bad?

Thanks in advance
smart bomb

BountyHunter

Smart Bomb

40xs are very good normally and the 280 is a good LR cartridge.

You could make it a 280 Ack Imp and pick up a a little more MV and that would be a good improvement.

BH

TOM H

I've got a 222,6x47 and 6mmrem all single shot plus have some custom rifles build on the 40x action. I don't know about now but when I got my 40x's the factory send a test target with two 5 shot groups with bullet and powder used. You can call Rem custom shop and they may give you the load they used for testing and I'd say when that rifle left the factory the test size groups were about 1/2" or less. I had a 40x repeater 308 with a slot for the stripper clip and the groups were in the 1/2" range. I've had real good luck with the 40x and since most of mine were new I never changed anything till I need a new barrel in fact had the custom shop rebarrel one 40x for me and it shot as good as the orginal one. I think you have a pretty nice rifle. I've got an older rem 700 in 7mm express (280)and it's still a good shooter. Well good luck.

Geo Etter

I shot in competition in the ibs and nbrsa for a number of years . The 40x is an incredible rifle as it is delivered , and even more so if you know how to tune one properly . In the 70's the 40x came with 3 5 shot targets and the load and bullet combo info . I saw one for sale at bob harts range with a 3 shot agg of .117 !

G

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce