Remington 300 RUM

Not a good idea with the load choice, but one of the best rifle choices you can make. The 300 RUM is pointless when you're shooting anything under 180s, even that's pushing it on the light side! You would be better off buying a .308 Winchester if you want to shoot 125 grainers. Also IMR 4350 is too fast for the big .300 RUM, you need a really slow powder like H1000 to take advantage of this cartridge! A 125 would also be inaccurate because your Sendero has the wrong twist for these light slugs, you will burn the barrel up fast, and it will foul super fast! If I were you, I'd load up some good bullets around 190gr or heavier and use a lot slower powder like I mentioned before. This will take the full advantage of the .300 Remington Ultra Mag. You said you wanted to shoot as far as possible, then load up a heavy bullet like I said with a high BC and this will beat the barrel burning 125s any day. I'm sorry if I come off offensive or anything, but I just don't want you too have an excellent rifle and cartridge and not use it to its full potential. I hope this information helps! P.S. Remingtons Rule!!!!

Thanks MILITARY RIFLE GUY for you help!..Because the last thing i want to do is burn out the barrel on this gun. It's taking me 10 years to buy another gun and the money this set up cost me ain't chicken feed to me so I really do appreciate and respect what you are trying to get me to understand about fast powder/light bullet= burnt out barrel!!.. I would like to try maybe a 180gr Nosler Ballistic tip with 80 gr of the IMR 4350 ...Nosler reloading manual claims that to be most accurate load for the 180 gr Ballistic tip..What's your opinion on that recipe ?...And I didn't take anything you said offensive .I feel like your giving me a good honest from the gut answer and I thank you for that...Although I do apologize for the big rock verses the little pebble rolling down the hill theory...LOL.. I've never been apart of a discussion forum and I have to break things down to knuclehead hillbilly terms so i can understand them...:Dgun)

...And i know this is getting kinda personal but do you suggest or have a muzzle break on your 300 RUM??..When shooting at a deer i don't really feel any recoil but i do like to bench shoot from time to time and would like to enjoy it :)
Thanks for your help

You're right, the higher the BC (Ballistic Coefficient) the less the bullet is affected by wind and drag. The longer the bullet will retain its velocity and as a consequence the more terminal energy it will have on target.

Just a quick comparison,
a 125 gr Nosler has a BC of 0.366
a 210 gr Berger has a BC of 0.631

In spite of the huge differences in muzzle velocity...

125 gr bullet out of the muzzle on 300 RUM at about 3900 fps
210 gr bullet out of the muzzle on 300 RUM at about 3150 ftps

having a full value wind at 10 mph, (full value wind is when it comes at 90° to line of sight or the line between you and the target).

At 1000 yards the lighter bullet, again, in spite of how fast it's coming out of the
barrel, it would have been blown out of course close to 2 ft more than the heavier
bullet. It translates to more lead way for wind calls.

At 1000 yards the heavier bullet will have about 950 ft-lb more energy!!!

Heavier bullet will go 500 yards longer before it goes sub-sonic!

Its true that the heavier the bullet the more recoil expected in the same rifle.
Folks have huge degrees of sensitivity when it comes to recoil, some are very
sensitive and some are just not as sensitive. My youngest son at age 14 was
shooting my sporter 300 RUM Remington from the prone position without a muzzle
brake and had no problems. Most folks would definitely have serious problems
with that kind of recoil. I had a muzzle brake installed on my Sendero 300 RUM
and I can shoot it all day long from the bench. I believe any person will shoot a
300 RUM or 338 RUM better and more accurately if it has a muzzle brake on it.

Have a great day!

Thanks MILITARY RIFLE GUY for you help!..Because the last thing i want to do is burn out the barrel on this gun. It's taking me 10 years to buy another gun and the money this set up cost me ain't chicken feed to me so I really do appreciate and respect what you are trying to get me to understand about fast powder/light bullet= burnt out barrel!!.. I would like to try maybe a 180gr Nosler Ballistic tip with 80 gr of the IMR 4350 ...Nosler reloading manual claims that to be most accurate load for the 180 gr Ballistic tip..What's your opinion on that recipe ?...And I didn't take anything you said offensive .I feel like your giving me a good honest from the gut answer and I thank you for that...Although I do apologize for the big rock verses the little pebble rolling down the hill theory...LOL.. I've never been apart of a discussion forum and I have to break things down to knuclehead hillbilly terms so i can understand them...:Dgun)

This is MILITARY RIFLE GUY, had my username changed to a more personal one so made it my nickname. Anyways back on topic, believe me I understand what you mean about Senderos not being chicken feed. They are expensive but are the best off the shelf long range rifle in my opinion and it will last you a lifetime. I wasn't laughing at your rock explanation I found it quite funny and humorous haha! As for using IMR 4350 powder, it will surely work but won't be the "pet" powder or the max performance powder. It will also not be a compact charge, which will make this load less accurate because you'll have inconsistent burning. A typical .300 RUM powder charge is in the 90-100gr range with slow powder like H1000, RL-25, and RETUMBO. Other than that though, I figure 80grs of 4350 will push the 180 Ballistic Tip in the 3150 ballpark. With a slower, more suitable powder you can gain nearly 150fps but speed isn't always better. The 180gr 4350 load will definitely fold up any whitetail at the ranges you will be hunting.
Be aware though, Ballistic Tips can blow up when they hit bone up close, especially at high speeds. My Dad shot a little West Virginia buck awhile ago at 100yds with a 180gr Nosler B-Tip only going 2750fps out of an '06. He was forced to take a shoulder shot, which normally is a good shot, but the Ballistic Tip literally blew up on the hide. Luckily the deer just made a big circle and died right where it was hit. The only damage it caused was destroying the hide and meat on the shoulder and nearly blowing the leg off. That was my Dad's first and last experience with Nosler B-Tips. You will be driving them a lot faster than he was so be cautious on close range shots. Hope this information helps!

This is MILITARY RIFLE GUY, had my username changed to a more personal one so made it my nickname. Anyways back on topic, believe me I understand what you mean about Senderos not being chicken feed. They are expensive but are the best off the shelf long range rifle in my opinion and it will last you a lifetime. I wasn't laughing at your rock explanation I found it quite funny and humorous haha! As for using IMR 4350 powder, it will surely work but won't be the "pet" powder or the max performance powder. It will also not be a compact charge, which will make this load less accurate because you'll have inconsistent burning. A typical .300 RUM powder charge is in the 90-100gr range with slow powder like H1000, RL-25, and RETUMBO. Other than that though, I figure 80grs of 4350 will push the 180 Ballistic Tip in the 3150 ballpark. With a slower, more suitable powder you can gain nearly 150fps but speed isn't always better. The 180gr 4350 load will definitely fold up any whitetail at the ranges you will be hunting.
Be aware though, Ballistic Tips can blow up when they hit bone up close, especially at high speeds. My Dad shot a little West Virginia buck awhile ago at 100yds with a 180gr Nosler B-Tip only going 2750fps out of an '06. He was forced to take a shoulder shot, which normally is a good shot, but the Ballistic Tip literally blew up on the hide. Luckily the deer just made a big circle and died right where it was hit. The only damage it caused was destroying the hide and meat on the shoulder and nearly blowing the leg off. That was my Dad's first and last experience with Nosler B-Tips. You will be driving them a lot faster than he was so be cautious on close range shots. Hope this information helps!
hey jud.would you happen to know where to get any brass for 300rum?
thanks

You're right, the higher the BC (Ballistic Coefficient) the less the bullet is affected by wind and drag. The longer the bullet will retain its velocity and as a consequence the more terminal energy it will have on target.

Just a quick comparison,
a 125 gr Nosler has a BC of 0.366
a 210 gr Berger has a BC of 0.631

In spite of the huge differences in muzzle velocity...

125 gr bullet out of the muzzle on 300 RUM at about 3900 fps
210 gr bullet out of the muzzle on 300 RUM at about 3150 ftps

having a full value wind at 10 mph, (full value wind is when it comes at 90° to line of sight or the line between you and the target).

At 1000 yards the lighter bullet, again, in spite of how fast it's coming out of the
barrel, it would have been blown out of course close to 2 ft more than the heavier
bullet. It translates to more lead way for wind calls.

At 1000 yards the heavier bullet will have about 950 ft-lb more energy!!!

Heavier bullet will go 500 yards longer before it goes sub-sonic!

Its true that the heavier the bullet the more recoil expected in the same rifle.
Folks have huge degrees of sensitivity when it comes to recoil, some are very
sensitive and some are just not as sensitive. My youngest son at age 14 was
shooting my sporter 300 RUM Remington from the prone position without a muzzle
brake and had no problems. Most folks would definitely have serious problems
with that kind of recoil. I had a muzzle brake installed on my Sendero 300 RUM
and I can shoot it all day long from the bench. I believe any person will shoot a
300 RUM or 338 RUM better and more accurately if it has a muzzle brake on it.

Have a great day!
Hey Eaglet. My new 300 Rum will be here tomorrow I hope and can't find any brass. would you know where i could buy any?? Man I ain't bought no store ammo in at least 20 years..
Thanks
Scotty

hey jud.would you happen to know where to get any brass for 300rum?
thanks

Post a thread in the reloading components for sale section. If you can't find any there, search on gunbroker.com and other online vendors. Hope you find some! This ammo crisis is a pain in the rearend for us reloaders!

Post a thread in the reloading components for sale section. If you can't find any there, search on gunbroker.com and other online vendors. Hope you find some! This ammo crisis is a pain in the rearend for us reloaders!
Thanks..And yes it is a pain..Crazy!..I have been looking online a lot as a matter of fact I fell asleep last night with the laptop in my lap looking.But i will check gun brokers and post on here.. Jud thanks for all your help...
baydog

Thanks..And yes it is a pain..Crazy!..I have been looking online a lot as a matter of fact I fell asleep last night with the laptop in my lap looking.But i will check gun brokers and post on here.. Jud thanks for all your help...
baydog

Haha I've been there! Glad I have helped you! Post on here when you get your rifle and get some shells loaded up to tell us how it shoots.

HELLO EVERYONE...WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS I HAD ABOUT MY 300 RUM. I GOT IT ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND OPEN THE BOX AND MADE SURE THE BARREL DIDN'T HAVE A CURVE IN IT, CLOSED THE BOX AND TOOK IT TO MY LOCAL GUN SMITH TO HAVE A BREAK PUT ON IT, SO I HAVEN'T SHOT IT YET BUT IT'S BEEN A VERY LONG WEEK WAITING FOR IT, SHOULD BE DONE SOON...I HOPE!!..I HAVE USED THE NOSLER #3 DATA BOOK FOR YEARS BUT AS YOU ALL KNOW THE NEWEST NOSLER BOOK IS THE #7 EDITION AND THE #3 EDITION DIDN'T HAVE THE 300 RUM IN IT OR ANY LOAD DATA FOR MY 240 WEATHERBY. SO BROKE DOWN AND BOUGHT #7. NOSLER DATA HAS BEEN VERY GOOD TO ME AS A STARTING POINT AND HAS SOME GOOD DATA IN IT AS FAR AS I'M CONCERN. SO THAT GETS ME TO THE SUBJECT OF THE LOAD I WILL BE STARTING WITH....80 GRAINS OF IMR 4350 WITH A 180 GRAIN BALLISTIC TIP IS WHAT NOSLER SAYS IS THE MOST ACCURATE RECIPE FOR A 180GR BALLISTIC TIP BULLET...THE OTHER THING IS OVERALL LENGTH OF THE AMMO AFTER LOADED. I HAVE BEEN USEING THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOTS METHOD OF DETERMINING A GOOD LENGTH. I ALWAYS TRY TO FIT THE AMMO TO THE GUN. MY OPINION IS THAT THE LONGER I CAN EXTEND THE BULLET OUT OF THE CASE THE BETTER THE ACCURACY IS OR TIGHTER GROUPS. THE WAY I DO IT IS PRESS THE BULLET IN THE CASE ENOUGH TO GET IT IN THE CASE GOOD. CHAMBER IT AND TRY TO CLOSE THE BOLT. IF THE BOLT WON'T CLOSE I KEEP PRESSING BULLET A LITTLE AT A TIME UNTIL I CAN GET THE BOLT TO CLOSE WITH NO RESISTANCE.WHEN I GET TO THAT POINT I GIVE IT ANOTHER 1/2 TO A WHOLE TURN AND THATS IT. IF I CHANGE BULLET TYPE OR WEIGHT I START OVER AGAIN. ONCE I GET MY DEPTH I TIGHTEN SET SCREW TO LOCK THE NUT ON THE RE-SIZING DIE. AND AS FAR AS RE SIZING THE BRASS I LOOK AT THE NECK OF THE CASE. WHEN I SEE THE RE SIZING RING THAT THE DIE LEAVES ON THE NECK IS TO THE BOTTOM OF THE NECK THATS WHEN I LOCK THAT SET SCREW. THIS IS HOW I'VE BEEN DOING IT FOR FOR AT LEAST 25 YEARS RIGHT OR WRONG. I'M ALWAYS OPEN TO IMPROVING MY RELOADING SO IF THERE IS A BETTER METHOD OF DOING THESE THINGS I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND ANY HELP.

THANKS

BAYDOG lightbulbgun)

Baydog, the 300rum will have a max. oal in the 3.8" range. You can usually load to just fit the mag. and be .100 to .150 off the lands. Nos. says they have had good luck with 4350 accuracy wise, and I don't doubt they have. If you want a bit more thump and full velocity, I'd look at rl33, rl25, retumbo, or h1000 here. I'm burning rl25 with 180's in my 300 rum and rl33 with 225's.

Baydog, the 300rum will have a max. oal in the 3.8" range. You can usually load to just fit the mag. and be .100 to .150 off the lands. Nos. says they have had good luck with 4350 accuracy wise, and I don't doubt they have. If you want a bit more thump and full velocity, I'd look at rl33, rl25, retumbo, or h1000 here. I'm burning rl25 with 180's in my 300 rum and rl33 with 225's.

Thanks Lefty.Seems like every time I bring up powders the H1000 is mentioned. Looks like I would gain about 150fps with the rl25...I've been loading with the 4350 so much for so many years and it will work in about every gun i got. But like you said if i want more out of the gun and i do want to get all i can out of it then i need to get off of the 4350.
Thanks

Hey Baydog,

Congrats on the new gun!

I just got the same rifle. The only .30 caliber bullets I had laying around over 165 grains were 180 grain Ballistic Tips. I looked at the Nosler data too and wondered about that 4350 load. I decided to start with Retumbo instead, I don't have too much but I do have some of all the popular stuff on the shelf. I plan to shoot bullets of 200 grains and up in my gun as soon as I can find some I want to try. I loaded my ammo to fit in the magazine box and ended up at 3.590" OAL. If you haven't found any brass yet Brownells and Sinclair have Norma in stock (or did anyway) and Midway has Nosler. I have some fit/finish issues with my gun but am anxious to get lined out and shooting. Good luck in your quest!

Bob

I shoot the 208 A-Max and the 230 HyBred. I got a load of the 230's from a private seller at a good price. My 208 A-Max load is my " go-to"....91.5 Retumbo, Fed 215's. The A-Max is 1/2 the $ of the berger and my gun with them is 1/4min.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.