Remington 244

nick197777

I have a 1903 Springfield in rem 244, and am experimenting with 75grain A-max bullets. I worked up a load form an old manual with hogdon H322. Looking back now I cant find data to support a 34 grain charge with the H322. I also noticed excessive air space in the case. The accuracy from this load .42" at one hundred yards. Does anyone have any data to support this, or did I make an accidental discovery?

Nick,

The .244 Remington is actually one of the older names for the 6mm Remington and the data for it can be used interchangeably. However I would sugest that you check the barrel for the rate of twist to see what bullets are the best for that particular rifle, especially since it's a rebarreled 1903 Springfield.

H322 is way too fast for this cartridge (used mostly in .223 Rem class cartridges)and is why the load only fills a portion of the case. Most loads with current powders weigh in at the 41-45g max loads with some slower powders being around 47-48+grns, and compressed to boot.

Older manuals listed H322 as an option because these other powders didn't exhist then.... One problem that can happen is a delayed ignition or secondary ignition where the flame from the primer jumps over the powder column and ignites it from the front rather than the rear. This can spike pressures and cause serious problems for you and the rifle. I would strongly suggest a diffrent powder choice for safety irregardless of accuracy.

If the rifle is capable of fine accuracy with H322, It should really shine with the proper powder for the job.

Hope this helps,

Dan

It is in fact a 1:12 twist (244). As far as the powders that is unfortunate I just loaded 50 rounds. I have a heavy barrel 1" at the crown and of course the 1903 action behind it. I guess even with that combo it is still dangerous. I guess pulling the bullets is my next step, and going with the RE19 powder. Which is good because I use that powder for my 7mm SAUM. Thanks for the info.

It is in fact a 1:12 twist (244). As far as the powders that is unfortunate I just loaded 50 rounds. I have a heavy barrel 1" at the crown and of course the 1903 action behind it. I guess even with that combo it is still dangerous. I guess pulling the bullets is my next step, and going with the RE19 powder. Which is good because I use that powder for my 7mm SAUM. Thanks for the info.

Good! Much better choice of powder. A 1-12" twist is really slow. 75-80g bullet is about as heavy as you can go and still stabilize bullets.

Have fun and be safe, Happy New Year as well.

Dan

You'll want a powder that will fill 80%-90% of the casing for best results. I have no idea just what it might be but many of the reloading manuals can spell it out for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.