Remembering the Older Days of Reloading/Shooting

I did something similar.
I was 10 in 1960 and the corner gas station that also sold guns and auto parts had the .22 Remington Nylon 66 semi-auto for sale for $49 bucks. We bought all our gas and dad's cigarettes there and they knew us because I was always hanging out looking at the gun display. My dad had bought me a single shot Mossberg bolt action .22 when I was 7 and I asked him if I could have the Remington. He said I could get it if I worked for it. I mowed lawns (push mower) and clean up for one dollar per lawn all around the neighborhood. It took about a month to make enough to buy it. I walked down to the gas station and bought the rifle and walked home with it downtown Greenleaf Ave. in Whittier, California.
Try doing that now...lol. That's also why I live in Idaho.

Attachments

• 465484AD-AF7E-40EE-BFA7-938F20D3F46E.jpeg
    465484AD-AF7E-40EE-BFA7-938F20D3F46E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
What's even more eye opening is that True-Value Hardware used to sell reloading supplies! 😀. Man, times have changed.
My first deer hunting adventure I paid about $5 for a box of .32 Win Special for a borrowed rifle. With soda and snacks I still got change back from my $10 bill. I did not shoot a deer on that trip, but did the next one. I still have a .32 Win Special...

Started at $1.60 an hour. Pumping gas for .26 a gallon. No self service. 16 years old.
Started at age 13 for $0.60 and hour working on the farm hoeing weeds, cutting and splitting firewood. What ever needed to be done. The old man would keep track and paid me to the minutes worked. He also provided a generous lunch.

Started at $1.60 an hour. Pumping gas for .26 a gallon. No self service. 16 years old.
Shamrock gas station in Fort Worth sold gas in 69 for .23 cents a gallon in competition with the other gas stations. 2.00 got you down the road. Shooting Pidgeons with a .22 Benjamin pump was allowed in town no more than a quarter mile from the courthouse.