Remembering the Older Days of Reloading/Shooting

To all of you guys I have to say,....we lived the best years.
We were blessed and fortunate,we were free.
When the American dream was real.
A house with a picket fence,was reality.
Now homelessness and shame.
Freedoms are eroded and we just let it happen.
I hope one day things get back to what it was....for our grandkids.❤️
I am ashamed to say, it happened on our watch. This is the problem that good and peaceful people are faced with- you get pushed until you decide to do something about it. So it gets much worse until something is done to make it better. We are not there yet, because we are decent people. When things become completley unbearable, people will initiate change.

The nice thing is, i know our country has a backbone and it will show when it needs to.

Just the way it works in peaceful societies.

I am ashamed to say, it happened on our watch. This is the problem that good and peaceful people are faced with- you get pushed until you decide to do something about it. So it gets much worse until something is done to make it better. We are not there yet, because we are decent people. When things become completley unbearable, people will initiate change.

The nice thing is, i know our country has a backbone and it will show when it needs to.

Just the way it works in peaceful societies.
Oh there were a lot of homeless people in the Dust Bowl years too, on the roads from Oklahoma to California. They just didn't put their photos on the front page of the news every nite but, things were still tuff back then too.

If they knew ya and they were WrenchN on a couple rigs up on the racks, they"D have ya pump yer own, better than waitN. Just leave the cash on the counter. Call the cops, that is Hilarious! Around the side of the station could get used oil for free. Couple quarts in the 51 Plymouth, would help that flathead-6, make it to next oil change. Full Service, that was a station that did tire repair, mufflers, brake jobs etc. and pumped gasoline. Some stations only had gas and oil.
My old station manager, Cal, was a hard a**. He did it by the book, always. State law. He got his one day driving into work one morning. He hit a skunk and it lodged up in the radiator and engine. What a smell. He tried to get me to clean it out. NO WAY! The customers complained to high heaven. Days gone by.

Oh there were a lot of homeless people in the Dust Bowl years too, on the roads from Oklahoma to California. They just didn't put their photos on the front page of the news every nite but, things were still tuff back then too.
And they didn't have tic tock and IG or Facebook to stroke their egos. And they had a work ethic!

For a few cents more per gallon ya could go to a Full Service station. Pull in to the pumps and 3 to 4 guys in aviation coveralls, would start cleaning the windshield, checking the oil, check the tire pressure. Ethyl or Regular sir?
This was a full service gas station that had stalls to work on cars and other service.
The gas wars were to match the competition's gas prices.
Later, in the 1960's I worked in a full service Union 76 station for $1.25 an hour. We did everything for the customers starting with window cleaning, check oil and water (which was always fun). If they wanted the tire pressure checked we did that too.

Some of the cute girls that came in we'd ask if they wanted their lug nuts rotated or change the chrome muffler bearings! 🤣
Our station would even wash and vacuum the car if they wanted. Often we'd go to a good customer's house, two of us, to bring their car down for service work and deliver it back when done, all serviced and filled up. The owner ran tabs for his customers and they'd come down to pay them up each month. This station was a leader in tire sales too.
Life was different back then...

This was a full service gas station that had stalls to work on cars and other service.
The gas wars were to match the competition's gas prices.
Later, in the 1960's I worked in a full service Union 76 station for $1.25 an hour. We did everything for the customers starting with window cleaning, check oil and water (which was always fun). If they wanted the tire pressure checked we did that too.

Some of the cute girls that came in we'd ask if they wanted their lug nuts rotated or change the chrome muffler bearings! 🤣
Our station would even wash and vacuum the car if they wanted. Often we'd go to a good customer's house, two of us, to bring their car down for service work and deliver it back when done, all serviced and filled up. The owner ran tabs for his customers and they'd come down to pay them up each month. This station was a leader in tire sales too.
Life was different back then...
Boy, we're those the days! The old, "clean the windshield while checking out the girls" thing was a great gag. Could you imagine running a tab at a gas station today??? Had one customer INSIST that I check the radiator fluid on her '65 VW. No kidding. She said it was getting hot. After a few minutes of discussion, "she talked - I listened", the shift manager told me to do it. So I opened the engine hood, in the back, and the driver screamed at me for being stupid. She told me to open the front hood and DO IT! So I did. I told her the, "radiator was 2 quarts low". She told me to, "put 2 in". So I did. Poured it straight to the ground and charged her for the gas and antifreeze. We had to keep it as an inside joke all summer, but it was worth it. That got lots of dumb customer joking humor all year!!!

Yes sir, I'm very familiar. Grandpa born in '86, dad in '29. I remember the stories my family told of both the good and bad times.
My dad lived through some good times- 9 year old kid out there mowing hay and plowing with horses, hauling hay with horse propelled buck rakes to the horse powered stationary baler, doing work with the whole family and learning (they didnt know at the time) what would shortly become the old ways. Then they got a tractor and a diamond truck.

They lived through the dust bowl and the depression in southeast oklahoma- family of 13 kids, he was the 2nd youngest.

His dad became bedridden with cancer. Crop in the field that needed harvested, and none of the older siblings came back to help. Just 13 year old dad 2 of his also young brothers out there trying to put up what crops came up.

They had to fight- alot- just to keep what they had. The stories of good but unfortunate homeless folks getting help from them, and good for nothing bums trying to take what they could didnt fall on deaf ears for me. You had to be strong if you wanted to survive and keep a noble path.

Things like neighbors shooting their dogs, and throwing skunks in their well- dad never said how that **** was stopped, but it didnt continue long.

Last edited:
Yes sir, I'm very familiar. Grandpa born in '86, dad in '29. I remember the stories my family told of both the good and bad times.
My dad lived through some good times- 9 year old kid out there mowing hay and plowing with horses, doing work with rhe family and learning (they didnt know at the time) what would shortly become the old ways. Then they got a tractor and a diamond truck.

They lived through the dust bowl and the depression in southeast oklahoma- family of 13 kids, he was the 2nd youngest.

His dad became bedridden with cancer. Crop in the field that needed harvested, and none of the older siblings came back to help. Just 13 year old dad 2 of his also young brothers out there trying to put up what crops came up.

They had to fight- alot- just to keep what they had. The stories of good but unfortunate homeless folks getting help from them, and good for nothing bums trying to take what they could didnt fall on deaf ears for me. You had to be strong if you wanted to survive and keep a noble path.

Things like neighbors shooting their dogs, and throwing skunks in their well- dad never said how that **** was stopped, but it didnt continue long.
God bless! Days gone by....

I can remember only about 7 years ago buying Federal .22 550 Rd. boxes for under $12.00. I still have a bunch 😉 I look at prices for box of 50 and just shake my head and think I'm glad I'm a prepper. Same goes to reloading supplies . Price tag shock on some of the old stuff 😳