Remage Opinions

Wolf76

So, I'm looking to do a barrel upgrade and have decided on the remage system. I've been emailing barrel manufacturers about options and received this response:

We do not offer Remage pre-fit barrels because of the often less than stellar tolerances that are found on Remington actions. It is much better to have a gunsmith true your Remington action and fit a barrel to the action. Savage can get away with sloppier tolerances on most of the action because of the floating bolt head design that takes a lot of the tolerance stack up out of the equation. Thank you for your interest in our products.

Opinions?

So, I'm looking to do a barrel upgrade and have decided on the remage system. I've been emailing barrel manufacturers about options and received this response:

We do not offer Remage pre-fit barrels because of the often less than stellar tolerances that are found on Remington actions. It is much better to have a gunsmith true your Remington action and fit a barrel to the action. Savage can get away with sloppier tolerances on most of the action because of the floating bolt head design that takes a lot of the tolerance stack up out of the equation. Thank you for your interest in our products.

Opinions?

That's quite the honest response. I agree on the Savage design advantage but there are quite a few success stories with the Remage too.

I have two Remage barrels. 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5-284 Norma. Both are STUPID precise and accurate. Both are on trued Rem700 actions. Both save me a 2 hour round trip to my gunsmith, and the associated bill, if I want to unscrew them for any reason. The way they shoot, though, I don't want to touch them until it's time to change to another Remage barrel.

If you're curious, both barrels are from Criterion. Call James at NSS and he'll set you up. I plan to call him again when it's time to replace the factory .243 Win barrel on another Rem700, and maybe also on one of my .30 cals if I decide to not go the traditional barrel route on that one.

Long story short- Remage barrels work and work well, at least in my experience (2 for 2 so far).

Plus, if your existing Rem action has been "trued", it more than likely has had the threads recut and they may not work with a factory thread on the barrel anymore.

I would call James at Northland Shooter Supply. Northland is where a lot of savage shooters go for barrels, Savage target actions, etc. he will be able to help you out and tell you exactly what your options are for a Remage barrel setup.

He is a good guy and easy to talk to. You can get his contact info on the web page.
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

Spoke with James and he is definitely a good resource. Unfortunately Criterion doesn't chamber the cartridge I'm looking for.
I was planning on truing the face of the receiver and not the threads. Lugs show long/even contact, so IMO recutting the threads isn't worth while.

So, I'm looking to do a barrel upgrade and have decided on the remage system.

Opinions?

So, I have a Remington 700 in .260 Rem that's running a CBI M40 contour barrel with a Remage nut. My smith didn't want to use it since he thinks they are ugly, but he said that it will not negatively impact accuracy. My receiver is not trued.

Here are my rifle specs so you can take into account other possible reason for this somewhat decent accuracy.

Post 2000 Remington SA Receiver and Bolt
Mcmillan A5 Stock (barrel channel opened, glass bedded)
CBI M40 contour barrel, 1:8 Twist, Threaded at muzzle with custom brake
PTG M5 Bottom Metal
Timney 510 Trigger
SWFA FFP 3-15x42 Scope

Ammo / shooting conditions:
Factory Federal 140 Grain Sierra Game Kings BTSP
Two 5 Shot groups at 100 yards
82 degrees, 73% humidty, wind 1-3 MPH, evelation for practical purposes was zero

I shot these groups this weekend when zeroing for hunting season and trying to get it ready for PRS. Please dont laugh, first time I was behind a rifle in about 6 months, and this rifle is brand new with this being the first time ever shooting it. Shooting was off of a concrete bench with a bipod and rear bean bag rest. first group measured .95" and second group with bad vertical stringing (bad breathing fundamentals) was a tad over 1". I need to get more practice in but I would say that its rather promising, especially since I picked up the only ammo available at bass pro.
IMG_2670.jpg
IMG_2671.JPG
IMG_2649 (1).jpg
IMG_2669.jpg

I'm planning on running a remage for my next build. It's going to be chambered in 7mm rem mag with an 8 twist. There's alot of guys having great success with the remage. There was a guy on lrsu that hit a milk jug at 1500 yards with his remage build. Imo, it's a great way to get into semi custom platforms that shoot just about as good as the real deal for alot less.

Imo, it's a great way to get into semi custom platforms that shoot just about as good as the real deal for alot less.
This sums it up perfectly. Will it perform 100% as well as a custom barrel chambered and threaded from a blank and spun onto your action by a really good smith? Probably not, but the differences will likely be too small to notice for all but the very best shooters. However, the dollars and possibly time saved far outweigh the teeny tiny loss in Precision/accuracy/performance for many shooters that are looking for an affordable way to try new cartridges or just keep practicing at the range. The remage barrels are good enough to compete in matches and are good enough to take game animals. If my life depended on it, I'd probably go with a custom from a blank if only for the piece of mind that comes with the added expense, but maybe not. For everything else, I see no problem with a remage setup. Again, I have 2 of them, and zero complaints.

This sums it up perfectly. Will it perform 100% as well as a custom barrel chambered and threaded from a blank and spun onto your action by a really good smith? Probably not, but the differences will likely be too small to notice for all but the very best shooters. However, the dollars and possibly time saved far outweigh the teeny tiny loss in Precision/accuracy/performance for many shooters that are looking for an affordable way to try new cartridges or just keep practicing at the range. The remage barrels are good enough to compete in matches and are good enough to take game animals. If my life depended on it, I'd probably go with a custom from a blank if only for the piece of mind that comes with the added expense, but maybe not. For everything else, I see no problem with a remage setup. Again, I have 2 of them, and zero complaints.

I agree. IMO the barrel is 99% percent of a good shooter anyway and a prefit barrel gives you a premium barrel at a good price point.

Why not just go with a Savage? Lots of pre-fit barrels already available.

The Remington 783 is building quite a following. Remington with a factory barrel nut.
Some people like options, and lots of people love the 700 platform. That and the fact that there are still more aftermarket products available for the 700. Savages are great- I have one and used to have another (and am considering getting another), but for the 700 fan who wants the flexibility of the barrel nut the Remage fits the bill.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.