Remage install- what to put on the threads?

jpfrog

Okay, I'm an idiot, and this is a dumb question.

I am attempting a Remage install for the first time, and I received my Criterion barrel today (7.5 twist 26" 6.5-284). Yay! As I was getting everything set up on my bench to do the install, I realized I don't have any grease/anti-seize, or whatever is recommended (or maybe I do, and don't realize it can be used). I have various colors of locktite, gun grease for my over/under shotguns and 1911 slides (Shooter's Choice, I think?), but nothing specific for barrel to receiver installs that I'm aware of.

So, I'm asking the LRH experts who do barrel changes either with Remage or Savage...do you put anything on your barrel threads prior to spinning on the receiver?

Thanks!

I use nickel anti-seize on all barrel installs, I also put some on the action shoulder. Once tightened, wipe off any that squeezes out. If you have no anti-seize, a drop or two of engine oil or light mineral oil works.
It is really important to use some type of lube to get the correct thread stretch, if torquing to a specific amount. I don't torque my barrels past a 1/4 turn from hand spun. My target rifles are hand tightened between the legs.
Also, the nickel anti-seize is needed for stainless to stainless because it stops/prevents any galling.

Cheers.
:)

I did the same thing a few weeks ago but I used regular gun grease.

I bought my action, barrel from James Kessler at Northlands Shooters Supply and he told me to just use a gun grease or anti-seize.

At first I tried a little gun oil, And it worked ok. Then I tried a small amount of Anti-Seize and this worked very well for many years. Then I did some torque test with different things and found the most consistent results using ARP Ultra torque assembly lube. It is used for engine assembly and is designed for bolt torque accuracy on critical parts like rod and main bearing bolts and head bolts.

Using an indicator between the action and barrel the ARP was the most consistent and got the least torque to get the same thread loading. the Anti Seize was the next best thread lube and will work well. The ARP is also temperature rated to over 350o F so it should never break down in use like some products do at operating temperatures.

The reason for the torque test was to have consistent thread loading.

NOTE: if you torque to standard recommended torques, the use of Anti-Seize or assembly lube the torque setting should be reduced by about 15% to prevent over preloading the threads.

J E CUSTOM

morning, galvanic corrosion is an enemy of
stainless, chrome moly or any different
metal composition. justme gbot tum

Well, that was WAY easier than I thought it would be. Once the Nickel Anti-Seize arrived this afternoon, I installed the barrel to the receiver. I have been wondering what I was going to do for an optic on this rifle and still don't have an answer. However, I have to have the bolt on my 6.5x47 Lapua bushed, etc., so it'll work better with the small primer pockets, so while that rifle is out of commission, I temporarily "stole" the Gen 1 Razor HD off of it and slapped it on the new 6.5-284 I put together this afternoon.

Thanks to all that helped make the decision to do a Remage vs. Short chambered barrel earlier this year, and thanks for the advice on the anti-seize. It was so easy. Bolt closes on the "Go" and won't close on the "No Go" so I think I'm good.

Thanks to @Remmy700 for the smokin' deal he gave me on the Rem700 long action, Jewell trigger, Gen 2 5r stock, and bottom metal (he also hooked me up with a Seekins 1 piece base but I installed that on my Gen 2 5r 300 win mag). Thanks to James at NSS for the 26" Criterion 1-7.5" twist 6.5-284 Norma barrel, nut, and wrench!

Best part about this build- the stock is identical to my Gen2 Rem700 5r .300win mag, so the boss has a harder time noticing that there are 2 rifles that look like it instead of 1. :cool:

Now I just have to work up a load- think I'll measure my seating depth tomorrow and make some test loads...if it's not too hot. I probably lost 5 pounds just sweating in the garage today. Gotta love the Texas heat!

Attachments

• IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 280
Looks like a nice rig. What contour barrel is that? I'm thinking about getting a remage barrel myself also in 6.5x284. Let us know how she shoots.

Looks like a nice rig. What contour barrel is that? I'm thinking about getting a remage barrel myself also in 6.5x284. Let us know how she shoots.
It's a Varmint contour with the target crown. May be a while before I get to shoot it- going to try to put together some loads tomorrow or during the evenings this week, but it's been pretty hot here lately and isn't showing signs of letting up, so getting to the range may be a chore. I have 3 rifles to do load dev for, though, so I may just have to suck it up and get out there!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.