Rem700 Firing Pin Assembly Question

jpfrog

After trying out my new 6.5-284 Remage build that I mostly did myself, I noticed some heavy bolt lift while dry firing. I repeat, while dry firing- I wasn't running hot loads and getting too much pressure, this was an empty chamber, dry fire, heavy lift. VERY heavy lift. Heavy as in more than I've ever experienced on over pressure loads (because I get the lift and stop).

Thinking it possibly just needed a good scrub and lube, I went to disassemble the firing pin assembly. It is a very old Rem700 (late 60's, I think) that I picked up used and immediately had blueprinted by my smith, but never disassembled the firing pin assembly during the process. I wanted to strip it down, clean the snot out of it, lightly lube and put it all back together. Well, that went to crap quickly. I cannot remove the retaining pin that holds the firing pin together with the cocking piece inside the shroud. I pound and pound on that pin and it will not budge. I tried two nights in a row, thinking somehow I just didn't have it last night, but nope- same story tonight.

So, I gave up, sprayed more gun scrubber onto it than it needed, compressed the spring and sprayed more inside every nook and cranny possible, let it dry and did it again to flush anything out I could until it was draining clear. Then I applied a light coat of oil, wiped the excess, reassembled everything, greased the threads, cam, and lugs. Put it all back together and it cycles smooth, with just the slightest resistance on bolt lift after a dry fire but no more than I have felt before on every rifle I've owned. Feels great.

So about that retaining pin- should I take it to my smith and have him remove it with his plethora of tools? Should I replace the whole assembly with a fancy high performance setup from someone (and if yes, who?)? Or should I leave it alone and just know that I'll never be able to remove it...and clean it as I did this evening if it ever gets too dirty again?

I really want this rifle to be at its top potential...even in the state it's in now, it was letting me stack some of @RockyMtnMT's 124gr Hammer Hunters on top of each other- literally. I've never seen groups like this out of a rifle I've owned before, and those ragged holes have had me smiling for over 24 hours. THANK YOU STEVE!! I wonder if those 137s will perform similarly...it is a 7.5 twist, but that's for another day.

I want to load up some more of the 124s and chrono, and will, but need to figure out this bolt fun first. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thanks in advance!

A 700 cocks on opening, so that's part of the resistance on lifting the bolt. Sometimes a heavy spring weight induces more resistance on opening. Crud increases it even more. Failure to keep the cocking cam greased properly is also a cause.

Sounds like your cleaning and lube helped a lot. I use a Sinclair tool to compress my spring pressure. I've not ever had a problem driving the pin out, so can't help you there.

A 700 cocks on opening, so that's part of the resistance on lifting the bolt. Sometimes a heavy spring weight induces more resistance on opening. Crud increases it even more. Failure to keep the cocking cam greased properly is also a cause.

Sounds like your cleaning and lube helped a lot. I use a Sinclair tool to compress my spring pressure. I've not ever had a problem driving the pin out, so can't help you there.
Yep, cleaning and fresh lube helped a lot with the heavy lift. I also have the Sinclair tool, and others from Brownells to make the disassembly a breeze...except for that retaining pin!

Another possibility is, as you have found, it is seized from rust or something else. My only suggestion is soak it in penetrating oil a day or two and whack away, going from one side to another.

I had the same issue with a 80's vintage BDL I used to build a 22-250 on, bolt lift got stiffer and stiffer until I disassembled it and discovered the retaining pin for the firing pin was wiggling loose each time the rifle fired and was binding on the bolt shroud.
Some bubba had installed it from the wrong side, boogering up the hole making it loose, had to drill it larger and put a different pin in.

Do not pound on that pin, they are softer than you think and you WILL flare it and booger up the hole when you finally get it out...oh they only go in ONE WAY, and come OUT ONE WAY.

Cheers.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.