Rem UML stock replacement options?

bgbuck153

I'm not a fan of the HS Precision stock. What options would I have to replace it with a normal feeling stock that doesn't have the blocky feel?

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I went from a thumbhole to this McMillan Game Warden and I'm outstandingly pleased.
One thing to think about is the recoil, so you need a heavy stock.

IMG_1320.JPG

That's sharp. Fortunately I have a muzzle break on mine as well and it's effective.

What load are you using or did you go smokeless

That's sharp. Fortunately I have a muzzle break on mine as well and it's effective.

What load are you using or did you go smokeless
For others....……… NOTE THAT THESE CHARGES ARE NOT TO BE USED IN PRODUCTION MUZZLELOADERS. THESE CHARGES ARE ONLY TO BE USED IN A REMINGTON ULTIMATE MUZZLELOADER (RUM) or ULTIMATE FIREARMS INC. MUZZLELOADER. READ AND FOLLOW YOUR RIFLES OWNER'S MANUAL.

3 T7M pellets (180grs equ)
I've since went to the AGS Gen2 breech plug, which is the absolute best thing any owner can do and had been shooting 160grs volume (112grs weight) of BH209. Remington will not warrant RUM breech plugs that are shot with BH209.

If you want a REALLY affective muzzle brake, consider the LR Customs, T-Rex brake.

At the beginning of the month, I sent my rifle off to be converted to a .45cal, which will make it a 2 in 1 rifle, capable of both BH209 and smokeless. It will have the T-Rex brake.

This is how good a T-Rex brake from LR Customs is. This RUM has the AGS Gen2 breech plug, shooting 100grs by WEIGHT of BH209.

I have a 700 UML with the laminated stock, and I think it's about as good as it can get. I shot 4 50 grain pellets of pyrex twice just to see how bad it kicked. Dang! It kicked as bad or worse than my 375 ruger loaded with 80 grains of powder behind a 260 grain nosler accubond. I dont need that much. I shoot 120 grains of Alliant Black MZ, and 2 years ago dropped an 8 pt at 231 yards in his tracks. That's good enough for me. As for accuracy, 1 1/2 groups @ a hundred is pretty much normal.

I have a 700 UML with the laminated stock, and I think it's about as good as it can get. I shot 4 50 grain pellets of pyrex twice just to see how bad it kicked. Dang! It kicked as bad or worse than my 375 ruger loaded with 80 grains of powder behind a 260 grain nosler accubond. I dont need that much. I shoot 120 grains of Alliant Black MZ, and 2 years ago dropped an 8 pt at 231 yards in his tracks. That's good enough for me. As for accuracy, 1 1/2 groups @ a hundred is pretty much normal.
Nothing wrong with that. Hey if its working what the heck?

It just that most using the RUM's, are treating them like a pony when they can be a real race horse. A muzzle brake REALLY helps tame them down and with a good one, you can shoot full charges all day long.
If you notice my buddy in the video, his rifle never raises off the rest, which by the way, even though its a sled, there's no weight on it.

Here's a few suggestions on any type of new stock..... first the LOP is critical. All stocks are made by the old LOP of 13.5", which someone at some time figured was "average". Well when it comes to average, that means that 50% are under average and 50% are over average. I can't stress enough that when spending good money for a new stock, measure your own LOP.
In the future I'll shy away from all thumbhole stocks. I thought... I liked them, but when shooting for tiny groups at long range, they just didn't work for me. I went with the more vertical grip and it made a ton of difference.
If you're going to shoot stiff charges, get a heavier stock to help with recoil. Nothing beats a great muzzle brake.

Thanks. What inlet did you order?
When I ordered it from McMillan, I ordered it for the Ultimate, I think they called it "Bell". McMillan has sold thousands of stocks to Ultimate Firearms Inc. so they already had the information in their computers. However I did use their template and sent my measurements.
What Jeff will install I have no clue. He's building me a shooter for long range work.

For others....……… NOTE THAT THESE CHARGES ARE NOT TO BE USED IN PRODUCTION MUZZLELOADERS. THESE CHARGES ARE ONLY TO BE USED IN A REMINGTON ULTIMATE MUZZLELOADER (RUM) or ULTIMATE FIREARMS INC. MUZZLELOADER. READ AND FOLLOW YOUR RIFLES OWNER'S MANUAL.

3 T7M pellets (180grs equ)
I've since went to the AGS Gen2 breech plug, which is the absolute best thing any owner can do and had been shooting 160grs volume (112grs weight) of BH209. Remington will not warrant RUM breech plugs that are shot with BH209.

If you want a REALLY affective muzzle brake, consider the LR Customs, T-Rex brake.

At the beginning of the month, I sent my rifle off to be converted to a .45cal, which will make it a 2 in 1 rifle, capable of both BH209 and smokeless. It will have the T-Rex brake.

This is how good a T-Rex brake from LR Customs is. This RUM has the AGS Gen2 breech plug, shooting 100grs by WEIGHT of BH209.

Could you give some more info on this breech plug? Where can I get one? What advantage does it offer over the factory plug? What do they cost? On another note, that McMillan stock sure looks good. I have 2 of them, one on my 375 ruger and one on my 264 win mag. Guess I never thought about that option. You're right about that video. The muzzle didn't even budge. Lordy. At one time i had talked to Bob Parker of Parker bullets. He sent me a pic of a 5" group he shot at 500 yards with his 700 UML, using 173 grains of blackthorn and one of his bullets, but i can't remember which one. I used his bullets for one season. They shot good, but when my daughter shot her deer with his bullet, it exploded into a whole bunch of pieces. I bet we dug at least a dozen bits of bullet out when we butchered that deer. I've since went to federal bor-loks, and couldn't be happier.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.