Rem Sendero vs Savage 111

I haven't handled a Sendero but I do own a Savage 11 LRH.
Very nice rifle for the money, it pretty much shoots everything sub Moa.
The Accustock is pretty good for what it is. The full length bedding block makes it very stiff where it needs to be. I can't recommend it enough.

I have owned Sendero's in 7mmRM, .300WinMag and .25-06Rem., a VS (Varmint Synthetic) and Varmint Special (BDL wood stock) in .22-250Rem and a Varmint Special in .243Win. All shot pretty good but required a little barrel break-in, except the .300WM, which required extensive load development / shoot-clean.
I don't remember swapping out the triggers on any of them with aftermarkets, although I may have, and if I didn't I'm sure I adjusted the others down to my liking. All were fine rifles, capable of excellent accuracy (< .5MOA) with tailored hand loads; once the triggers were adjusted and barrels broke in.

Then I started shooting Savages; (pretty is as pretty does). Before the advent of the Accu-Trigger, I know I swapped out a lot of OEM triggers for Timneys, but most of the barrels shot 3/4" or better with no barrel break-in.
I have one Savage 112 BVSS in 6.5-284 Norma that shot a .3" group within the first five bullets that left the barrel. It has shot remarkably from day one. I retired that barrel and installed a 28" Lothar Walther pre-fit. Round count was approx. 900 and it was still shooting sub .5". I was planning on trimming it a 1/2", re-chambering and making a 6.5-06AI but a shooting buddy talked me out of it.
(the Lothar Walther shot a 3" group at 1K two weeks ago, so I'm not missing the old barrel too much!)
I have another 112BVSS in .300WinMag that is a total beast. The barrel on this rifle is pretty fast. I'm running 208gn A-Max's and ELD-M's at 3092fps with 77gn of RL26. I installed a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger, Witt Machine Co. clamp on muzzle brake and recoil pad.

I have a model 10 (with model 12 barrel) in .308Win I'm working on right now. Looks like it has potential too. Two weeks ago it shot a 5" group @ 1K with 180gn Ballistic Tips. Going to run some ELD's through it Sunday to see what's what.

All that to say, both brands are good it just comes down to your budget and preference. Happy shooting. JohnnyK.

I gave up on my Remington's some years back. Everything from out of the box to blue printed actions and custom builds. I have one custom left that is a Hall action, other then that all my bolt guns are Savage and will remain that way. Go with the Savage.

Don Dunlap

Remington semi-custom build:
Donor action - $400?
Boyds stock - $130
McGowan prefit barrel - $325
Barrel nut - $65
Timney trigger - $130
Bedding - $50 (materials)
Cost - ~$1100

If I wanted a Remington, I'd build one. Nothing wrong with the Sendero, I've owned one for 11 years, but every factory Remington barrel I have shot coppers like crazy. I have not had Savage factory barrels be nearly as bad. Now, I just build all my rifles with barrel nuts - Remington and Savage actions alike.

As priced above, you can have a Rem700 gun with a nice custom barrel for the same or less as a Sendero.

I gave up on my Remington's some years back. Everything from out of the box to blue printed actions and custom builds. I have one custom left that is a Hall action, other then that all my bolt guns are Savage and will remain that way. Go with the Savage.

Don Dunlap

Seems like the Savage has a lot more factory options in style,caliber and such. And I do not really hear any complaints. I originally had my mind set on a Savage 112 but until 338 Lapua is a little less pricey which I doubt I have been shying away from it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.