Rem Model Mohawk 600 CALIBER??

GERDES G

HI!
I have done a ton of reading and a couple comments on here but this is the first post/question. Though I have a few.
I have a Remington Model Mohawk 600 in .243 that was my mothers. "They" my grandfather and great-uncle cut about 4" off the stock and I think someone cut the barrel at some point as it is only 16.5" long.
She said do what you want with it.
I have my big guns for long range shooting and hunting but am curious what caliber you all think would be good/fun for this for a brush and or saddle type of gun. I know they came in 35rem and 350 Rem Mag but as long as it was short enough it could be just about anything right?

I have the same rifle and like it as a .243! However I have thought about turning it into a 260. Its my current favorite cartridge.

for a brush and or saddle type of gun

How about the .358 Winchester? The following is a quote from Chuck Hawks review of .35 caliber cartridges:

"Compare the .308 Winchester and the .358 Winchester, which are based on the same case, and the .358 wins hands down. On a 600 pound animal like a big bull elk the optimum game range of the .308 (180 grain bullet at a MV of 2610 fps) is a useful 175 yards. However, the optimum game range of the .358 (250 grain bullet at a MV of 2300 fps) is 240 yards". -Chuck Hawks

Caliber could be flexible depending on bulk of your use. I have one converted to 6mm, Shilen barrel, Brown Precision stock, but I think it's important on these to change the safety, and trigger. I went with a Gentry 3 position safety, and Canjar many years ago.
So I guess I'd say it can be a rabbit hole experience if you aren't careful.

The .350 Remington requires a bolt face change, the .35 Remington too anemic for me. The .358 Winchester would hold some appeal, with either the 173 Sledge Hammer or 203 Sledge Hammer. Depending on how length all came together.

I'd probably go with a standard .308 myself.

I'd put a rail and reflex sight on it. Cut it for a kid, can't get the adults to leave it alone.

I think these actions are a little shorter than a Rem 700 SA, so the 6.5x55 is a no go......
I have a Mohawk in 243 that I picked up cheap......But after replacing the Trigger and warped plastic bottom metal with a metal one, and building a youth stock for it, I'm into it far more than it's worth. I think they are neat old rifles though so it was worth it to me. The end of the barrel was toast, so it's now cut down to 16.5", Someday I'll probably re barrel it in either 6.5x47 or 260, but for now it's great for getting the kids shooting, and I can reload 243 relatively inexpensively. The thought of a heavier caliber brush gun in interesting though....... the 358 or 308 would probably be my choice.

One of my sons shot his first 40" Dall ram at 12 yo with a Rem Mohawk in 308 with a 165 gr. NP at 2600 FPS - one shot and just slumped over in his bed.

HI!
I have done a ton of reading and a couple comments on here but this is the first post/question. Though I have a few.
I have a Remington Model Mohawk 600 in .243 that was my mothers. "They" my grandfather and great-uncle cut about 4" off the stock and I think someone cut the barrel at some point as it is only 16.5" long.
She said do what you want with it.
I have my big guns for long range shooting and hunting but am curious what caliber you all think would be good/fun for this for a brush and or saddle type of gun. I know they came in 35rem and 350 Rem Mag but as long as it was short enough it could be just about anything right?
Mine is a 7MM-08 in a 1 lb. MPI stock. Excellent little rifle. Right around 6 lb. scope and ready to go.

From above:

I think these actions are a little shorter than a Rem 700 SA, so the 6.5x55 is a no go......

These actions are a little shorter, about 3/16" shorter. However though, this does not affect the magazine length which is still the standard 2.800" like the M700 actions.

but am curious what caliber you all think would be good/fun for this for a brush and or saddle type of gun.

Well, following the paths previously taken, we have managed to cover nearly every cartridge which will fit in the M600 magazine. And yes, they'll all work depending on the bullets selected and the load you develop. Examine where you hunt and what you hunt to help determine the cartridge and the bullet construction.

Personally, I think the 6.5x47 Lapua is the correct cartridge, especially considering the magazine. I would develop loads for the Sierra 130 gr. Gamechanger, Hammer 124 or 137 Hunter, Nosler Partition or the lightest of the Barnes TTSX. The Berger 130 gr. VLD Hunter is an excellent choice also.

There really is no such thing as a 'woods' cartridges although too many folks still consider the fatter, heavier bullets to fill this niche. If you're in that boat then consider the .358 Win. for sure. Good brass is once again available and there is a decent selection of bullets.

Last but certainly not least is the venerable, old standby, the .308 Win. This is probably the most flexible of the cartridges and will continue to perform admirably for the next several decades.

Enjoy the process!

Last edited:
morning 6.5x55AI. 26" #5contour barrel. twist ur choice.
this is a varmint-deer nightmere sp. in had one in 243, replaced
the barrel with douglas air gage-26" #5. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.