rem model 7 7saum DBM

Actually the ejection port on the mdl 7 is larger on than s/a 700 but the magazine sizes are the same. A mdl 7 with a DBM using WSM mags will get you to 2.9 +

Also check out Elkaholic's Sherman Shortmag in 7mm or 6.5mm. Just a SAUM case redesigned shorter, it would work great in a mdl 7.

The sherman shortmags have intrigued me for a while. Like I said. Nothing is off the table yet. Tell me more.....

I know that the model 7 will be shorter overall, but just wondering about the WSM mags in the badger ordnance or ptg dbm. Haven't seen many using them yet so didn't know if this is possible.

The mod 7 receiver is shorter overall, but the mag is the same as the short action and will handle any of the rounds that will fit in the short action. The bolt is also shorter but does not limit any standard mag length cartridge.

I have built many short mags on the mod 7 with great results and even own a few. 6.5 rem mag,
7 WSM, 7 SAUM, 300 WSM, 325 WSM and 338 RCM to mention a few. I have used the center feed mag box on all of them and they function perfectly.

I have not tried the Detachable mag boxes but I don't see why they wouldn't work with some tuning (They just wont hold as many cartridges). They will require some action rail work though, and once you remove the rails to except the mag box it won't work as a staggered mag any more.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

The sherman shortmags have intrigued me for a while. Like I said. Nothing is off the table yet. Tell me more.....

The SS was designed to function in available actions with no loss of capacity. The result is a VERY efficient case which has actually shown to be an increase in performance. The shoulder/neck junction, which determines where the bullet should be seated is almost identical to the Creedmore. Case capacity is 71+ grains in the 6.5 version, and an added 1 grain in the 7SS. Another great advantage is that because of the excess case length to start with, the neck is kept longer than anything in its class; .320" in the 6.5 and .331 in the 7. I use a .308 A.I. box in my 700 S.A. and all you have to do is spread the feed lips .080" and it functions flawlessly. I am loading the 180 hybrids in my 7SS at 2.925" and reaching 3050' in a 26" barrel. This rifle was built on a Savage 16 action with a standard DBM........Rich

The SS was designed to function in available actions with no loss of capacity. The result is a VERY efficient case which has actually shown to be an increase in performance. The shoulder/neck junction, which determines where the bullet should be seated is almost identical to the Creedmore. Case capacity is 71+ grains in the 6.5 version, and an added 1 grain in the 7SS. Another great advantage is that because of the excess case length to start with, the neck is kept longer than anything in its class; .320" in the 6.5 and .331 in the 7. I use a .308 A.I. box in my 700 S.A. and all you have to do is spread the feed lips .080" and it functions flawlessly. I am loading the 180 hybrids in my 7SS at 2.925" and reaching 3050' in a 26" barrel. This rifle was built on a Savage 16 action with a standard DBM........Rich

That's impressive Rich.

That about the same velocity as a 7 WSM with a 150 grain bullet.

J E CUSTOM

That's impressive Rich.

That about the same velocity as a 7 WSM with a 150 grain bullet.

J E CUSTOM

Hi Jerry....I expected good things, but the results were even more than I expected! I can reach 3100' with the 160's in my 6.5 SS too. Given, these are stiff loads, but not to the point of loosening primer pockets.....Rich

Hi Jerry....I expected good things, but the results were even more than I expected! I can reach 3100' with the 160's in my 6.5 SS too. Given, these are stiff loads, but not to the point of loosening primer pockets.....Rich

+1

Don't you love it when a plan comes together !!

J E CUSTOM

+1

Don't you love it when a plan comes together !!

J E CUSTOM

Well, my dad use to say "A blind hog will find a pumpkin every now and then!"):D It is pretty amazing that a case body that is 1.49" long will perform like that! I think it does prove something about burn column, and the straight wall, 40 degree shoulder distribute pressure pretty well too.....Rich

The mod 7 receiver is shorter overall, but the mag is the same as the short action and will handle any of the rounds that will fit in the short action. The bolt is also shorter but does not limit any standard mag length cartridge.

I have built many short mags on the mod 7 with great results and even own a few. 6.5 rem mag,
7 WSM, 7 SAUM, 300 WSM, 325 WSM and 338 RCM to mention a few. I have used the center feed mag box on all of them and they function perfectly.

I have not tried the Detachable mag boxes but I don't see why they wouldn't work with some tuning (They just wont hold as many cartridges). They will require some action rail work though, and once you remove the rails to except the mag box it won't work as a staggered mag any more.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM
If you use a mdl 7 action all ready setup for the 7mm saum would you still need work on the action rails?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.