Rem/Marlin mod. 60 (Junk)

Waynzee

I bought a Rem/Marlin mod. 60 semi auto 22 and what a piece of **** it is. Don't believe these reviews that Marlins are being made better because it is ********.
After cleaning all the rust out of the barrel and mounting a good scope I had with all the screws properly torqued I took it out to sight in, 7 different kinds of ammo later the best group at 50 yards was 3.5 inches.
So, I called Rem/Marlin and after a whole bunch of ******** playing phone tag I finally got to talk to a customer service rep., he told me it could take up to 8 weeks before I got it back. ***. I swore I would never buy another Rem. product once before due to customer service issues and a ****** product but I thought I would give em another chance. Well, burnt again.:mad:

Dang glad my marlin shoots well..... I used to shoot tacks at 75 yards for giggles and shoot soda cans at 200. Always cycled and never failed me. That's gone by the wayside now that I have a savage mk2 btvss

Dang glad my marlin shoots well..... I used to shoot tacks at 75 yards for giggles and shoot soda cans at 200. Always cycled and never failed me. That's gone by the wayside now that I have a savage mk2 btvss
Is that an older Marlin? JM?

;) So, I took that Rem/Marlin 60 to a gun shop and explained it wasn't shooting all that great and the shop owner told me "no problem" he could fix it. So I said I'd like to trade for a Ruger 10/22, again "no problem" Good, it cost me 75.00 bucks for the Ruger and that piece of **** RM. I took the Ruger out and it shoots 1/2 to 3/4 groups with CCI mini Mag Ammo at 50 yards.:D

You need an older model 60. I have one from the early 90s and it's a tack driver. Cool little rifle. Glad you got a ruger 10/22 though. Those are nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a shame to hear, for a number of reasons.

I have no dog in the Marlin/Rem/whomever fight but I like an accurate rifle.

Got my first Model 60 about 25 years ago, couldn't believe how well it shot.

Owned a few more over the years, same story, every one was accurate as the last.

When the wife and I got together she commandeered my 60 for rabbits and squirrels.

Shame they've gone downhill.

I've owned two Model 60s. I don't know how old they are/were. They were both hand-downs. My first one was more accurate than is my second. I got my second one around 15 years ago. The first one I got in '95. I don't have great luck with them anymore. This crappy rimfire ammo that the factories are putting out now, doesn't seem to work the old autos as well as it used to. I refuse to buy "premium" rimfire ammo. That runs contrary to my purpose for a rimfire... which is cheap shooting and squirrel getting.

I have a Western Field .22LR autoloader I picked up this year, very cheap. After trying various ammo with poor results, I discovered it will not shoot hollow points but very reliable with standard speed solid bullets.

The difference in reliability is amazing.

Good luck

Jerry

I've owned 2 of these now. Both are newer then 5 years old. First one shot pretty **** good. Right around .5-.75 for 5 at 50 yards. Sold that one like a fool. Picked up a stainless one on a song 3 years ago no. Shoots .75-1" at 50 yards. While not spectacular not bad really

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts