Rem Core Lokt Performance

Hntbambi

I shot my oryx this past December with a custom built Rem 700 chambered for the 300 Wby Mag. I know my handloads of 180 gr Swift Scirocco, neck turned Rem brass, Fed 216M primer, and VV N165 powder will shoot 1/2 MOA, but I did not have time to get things rolling this year, so I used Remington factory ammo, the 180 gr Core Lokt stuff. I needed some new brass and figured I would shoot a box.

The bullet is averaging 3272 fps from my 28" barrel (chronographed) and I shot my oryx at close to medium range (under 200 yards). Entering the chest I did hit a rib and exiting it hit a rib. The bullet did not exit but there was a hold on the far side. I dug the bullet out of the hole and after cleaning it up, it weighs 108 grains, so it lost 72 grains of weight (40%). It expanded wonderfully as you can see in the pic.

Do you feel this bullet performance was failed, fair, good, or great and why?

180coreloktoryx1.jpg

180coreloktoryx.jpg

180coreloktoryx2.jpg

I shot my oryx this past December with a custom built Rem 700 chambered for the 300 Wby Mag. I know my handloads of 180 gr Swift Scirocco, neck turned Rem brass, Fed 216M primer, and VV N165 powder will shoot 1/2 MOA, but I did not have time to get things rolling this year, so I used Remington factory ammo, the 180 gr Core Lokt stuff. I needed some new brass and figured I would shoot a box.

The bullet is averaging 3272 fps from my 28" barrel (chronographed) and I shot my oryx at close to medium range (under 200 yards). Entering the chest I did hit a rib and exiting it hit a rib. The bullet did not exit but there was a hold on the far side. I dug the bullet out of the hole and after cleaning it up, it weighs 108 grains, so it lost 72 grains of weight (40%). It expanded wonderfully as you can see in the pic.

Do you feel this bullet performance was failed, fair, good, or great and why?

180coreloktoryx1.jpg

180coreloktoryx.jpg

180coreloktoryx2.jpg

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the performance. The bullet would have had an impact velocity of a little over 3000' so the fact that it held together as it did at that velocity, with a very good expansion, is what you want. Was that a BONDED core lokt?........Rich

Nope, just a plain jane 180 GR. CORE-LOKT PSP R300WB1.

The oryx went less than 30 yards after being hit before he piled up. Shot was top of the heart and lungs. I agree that the bullet performed superbly. I just wanted to hear other thoughts on the subject.

Nope, just a plain jane 180 GR. CORE-LOKT PSP R300WB1.

The oryx went less than 30 yards after being hit before he piled up. Shot was top of the heart and lungs. I agree that the bullet performed superbly. I just wanted to hear other thoughts on the subject.

Those old core lokts have been killing stuff for a lot of years and still work pretty well.....Rich

I would have to agree with what the others have said and call it success. The bullet opened up and mushroomed nicely. Especially considering that its impact velocity was so high. Oryx can be tough critter from what I've been told. The bullet dumped its energy and was on the verge of complete penetration. The bullet did not fly to pieces and maintained 60 percent of its weight. I don't think that you could ask for any more than that.

I had used Core lokts for many years before custom bullets came out and never had one fail me.

My only reason for leaving them for the customs was accuracy at longer distances.

At ranges of 3 or 400 yards they are very good bullets, but beyond that, they are not the most
accurate bullet available. And it is just the variance in weight that does them in just like some
other brands and the lead tip that was always getting dinged up.

J E CUSTOM

"Deadliest Mushroom in the Woods!". Still shot them in my 30.06 BAR when deer hunting with dogs. Just like J E said, under 400 they are great bullets.

I have had good luck with the core-lokt bullets too both performance wise on deer sized game at modest distances by this sites standards perhaps,

and have a number of rifles that shoot extremely tight groups with them in factory ammo... go figure.... huh

They are kind of treated like the red headed step child of bullets. However, I would love to see the stats of animals killed each year and what bullets were used. I'll bet the Core lockts are heavy contenders.

However, I would love to see the stats of animals killed each year and what bullets were used. I'll bet the Core lockts are heavy contenders.

I'd say that is a very safe bet. Sure there are small groups of hunters that have to have the latest greatest bonded, fused, tipped, blah blah blah bullet, just because some yahoo wrote about them in a magazine. But when I go to the range, I see far more green boxes on the benches than others.

I'm one of those bullet makin' yahoos:D, but you guys are correct. There have probably been more animals killed with CL's than any other bullet.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.