rem 7mm mag,potential for long range hunting?

G

i would like to have your point of views about this 7mm mag,i use it for hunting deers in short distances (around 200yards)but as it the potential for long range hunting(since i wwould like to performe some long range hunting)in accuracy?
the rifle is a remimgton 700 adl with 24" barrel,twist of 9 and 1/4.

Rusa,
In one word, yes. The 7mm RemMag is an excellent round for hunting at long range. I have fond affection for the round and have used one for informal target and hunting for almost a decade.
I have reloaded for my Sendero and have shot bullets from 110gr to 168gr. All my deer were taken with the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Powders I have used are IMR's 4320, 4350, 4831, 7828. Hodgdon's Varget, 414, 4350, 4831 & SC vers., 1000. Reliant's 19 and 22(my favorite). The cartridge is versatile, accurate and has the velocity and energy needed for LR big game hunting or target shooting.
With all the thousands of dollars worth of reloading components that I have sent down my barrel, I have finally burnt my out. I figure on close to 1700 rds and time for another tube. This is one rifle/cartridge that I don't plan on being without. HAGO, Johnny K.

I am not sure what you are meaning when you say "long range" hunting, what distance are you thinking about?

The 7 mag is good, for long range, if you are using a good bullet with Low Drag. I have never shot mine over 350 yrds since I bought it back in 1977. But maybe some one else hear can give you a better report than I can.

Since I put a new barrel on the action and a muzzle brake....it is now my favorite shooter of the lot.
--------------
Zod

One more thing. Mine is also a 700 BDL 24" facory barrel. Had the barrel "frozen" and the throat lenghten 90 thousands, this so I could shoot the Barnes "x" 150gr. I have not loaded to "max" yet, but right now I am getting 3100 fps w/the 150 moly coat bullet.....have gotten a "one" hole group for 3 shots a couple of times now.

[ 05-19-2004: Message edited by: Zod ]

well i'm looking around 500-600yards shooting distance.so i was wandering if the bullet itself was leathal enought to knock down a deer.i'm using a 150grains ballistic tip.

Deer are not hard to kill, it will do fine. Just put a good bullet in the lungs and you're okay.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.