Rem 783 Barrel Twist and ammo

SDflyfisher

I bought a new Rem 783, .308 w/ 22in barrel and 10" barrel twist. I'm wanting to find a bigger bullet for my elk hunting, anyone else try a 180gr through this gun yet? I've read alot about 160gr bullets but already shooting that through my 700 .308. Any help will be appreciated.

The 10" twist will let you shoot about any weight bullet you want. It will shine with 180 gr bullets. For elk I would go 180 gr in a Nosler Partition or Accubond.

Thanks RT2506, but I have not read much about shooters and there actual use of a 180gr bullet with the Rem 783. Do you have any articles to support the shinning of a 180gr bullet in conjunction with the rifle?

I would suggest that you're probably not going to find what you are looking for, i.e. an article discussing the 783 and shooting at elk or testing 180gr bullets. And even if you did, it really doesn't mean much.

I would buy a few types of 180gr bullets and give it a try yourself. No matter what you read on the internet - here or elsewhere - only you and your testing can tell us what the exact rifle sitting in your hands likes to shoot. I have seen rifles in the same caliber from the same manufacturer "like" two completely different bullets on the same day. Only by testing each was this discovered, not by reading about it.

Time to go play on the range! :D

Yep. Every barrel is different which at time is unfortunate but that is what makes it fun at the same time.

I would try the 178gr Amax its easy to find a accurate mag length load. Have you taken the rifle apart yet? Is it set up with a Remington style recoil lug? Does it have a barrel nut? I know where one is In 7RM pretty cheap. Just wondering if its setup like the 770 or the 700 but with a barrel nut....

barrel quality and the rate of twist are both important. there are articles rifleman's journal blog that cover the .308 . an elk is a large target. where are you hunting. what distance are the shots??

So how do you know that this barrel is rated for a 180gr bullet without pre mature wear to it?

Want to use it for as close as 50-200yrds. I recently shot it at 50, 100, 150 using federal 165gr bullets, and performed very accurate. Still wanting to explore and test the 175gr range.

gohring3006 I keep hearing about this 178gr Amax from other people also, that sounds like it may be a good next step for a higher grain bullet.

barrel quality and the rate of twist are both important. there are articles rifleman's journal blog that cover the .308 . an elk is a large target. where are you hunting. what distance are the shots??

the barrel has premature wear or the bullet??

So how do you know that this barrel is rated for a 180gr bullet without pre mature wear to it?

Want to use it for as close as 50-200yrds. I recently shot it at 50, 100, 150 using federal 165gr bullets, and performed very accurate. Still wanting to explore and test the 175gr range.

gohring3006 I keep hearing about this 178gr Amax from other people also, that sounds like it may be a good next step for a higher grain bullet.
The 178 Amax just plain shoots great. Its hard for me to switch when I get 250yrd groups like this. The dot in the middle of the circle is not a bullet hole its a center marker and don't mind the AR spray. There was some young guys at the range with some ARs.LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20140926_170912_309.jpg
    IMG_20140926_170912_309.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 195
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.