Rem. 783 30-06

Waynard

Hi fellas, I'm looking for a low budget project rifle in a 30/06 and kind of think the Rem. 783 might work. I'm not partial to Rem. rifles so I'm open to any reasonable opinions. Also, I'll be reloading for this rifle. Thanks.

Thanks, Mud Runner that's just about every thing I could of though about. A lot of good ideas there. I like to find just one for $199.

It's not a popular rifle that I hear talked about here, but I have two Marlin XS7's. One in 243 cost me $319. The other in 7mm-08 cost me $359 about 2 years later. Both rifles all I did was freefloat the barrels and hand load for them and they both shoot 1/2 MOA to 500 yards. The 7mm will go a little farther. The 243 maxes in bullet weight at around 95 grains with its 1:10 twist which gets harder to hold 1/2 MOA past 500 with the ever changing winds here, but I would not hesitate to shoot to 750 at a coyote with it. They are also made in the same fashion as a savage and with a very light shave of the tenon length, savage prefit barrels will spin right on. Using savage wrenches and everything. The 7mm-08 has a 1:9.5 twist

That would be alright to pick up Savage barrel in a 6.5-284 and drop it in the Rem. 783. A 1000 yard budget rifle,hhhmmm. The cogs are turning fellas.

That would be alright to pick up Savage barrel in a 6.5-284 and drop it in the Rem. 783. A 1000 yard budget rifle,hhhmmm. The cogs are turning fellas.

I'm not sure if a savage barrel will drop in a 783. Someone else may know better there. I've never messed with a 783.

Hey Waynard. I'm the guy who started the thread mentioned above. Remington has a $40 mail in rebate. So technically I paid $239 for the rifles and got the $40 rebate equaling to $199.

I see 783's for the $250 range quite often. That will get you real close to what I paid for mine.

A Savage barrel would not be a direct bolt up. But it is darn close.

The Rem 783 has a nice 2.5lb trigger, it cycles good, and is pretty darn accurate. But the same thing can be said for most Savage rifles if you can find one cheap enough. I've been enjoying messing with my 783's. No regrets so far!

Hope this helps. :)

Some one said you would have to shave some metal off the barrel to get a Savage barrel to fit. That's ok, I would have a gun smith do that kind of work.
Yep, I've seen them Rem. 783s for sale at Grices in Pa. for $239.00 and that's kind of what started the cogs turning.

Some one said you would have to shave some metal off the barrel to get a Savage barrel to fit. That's ok, I would have a gun smith do that kind of work.
Yep, I've seen them Rem. 783s for sale at Grices in Pa. for $239.00 and that's kind of what started the cogs turning.
I said you could shave a little length off of the tenon, but I was referring to putting he prefit savage barrels on the Marlin X7. About 1/32" - 1/16" needs to be shaved off the thread tenon because it will bottom out in the receiver before you achieve the headspace you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.