Rem 721 action fit into Rem700 long action

I just fit one last week!! Fits good except the safety on the 721 is a little different and I had to file down a flat spot for the safety to clear, and the action screws I bought for a 700 were too long. I shortened them about 3/16" and all is good. Now it's time for disassembly and cerakote

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
Eagle eyes will probably notice I ended up installing a jewel trigger so the relief might not have been needed, I had to bend the safety to clear the 721 action because it doesn't have the flat milled into the rear of the receiver for safety clearance. So also a 700 trigger will pin on easy also

.270, it was an old rifle my father had the he shot his first deer with and I shot my first deer with it. Now my youngest son is planning to shoot his first deer with it and I couldn't bring myself to change caliber!! I did go fast twist so I can shoot heavy monos since I can't talk my wife into leaving California

I forgot to add, I didn't like how the ptg bottom metal fit and had to bed it to get it perfectly flush on the stock. Possibly the inlay from iota was to blame?? I really don't know

.270, it was an old rifle my father had the he shot his first deer with and I shot my first deer with it. Now my youngest son is planning to shoot his first deer with it and I couldn't bring myself to change caliber!! I did go fast twist so I can shoot heavy monos since I can't talk my wife into leaving California
Its what I gave my son as his first centerfire rifle. He was around10-12 years old. He took many deer with it. Still have it.

Wldcat - thanks for your reply.
Additional questions:
1. What stock did you start with?
2. Whose bottom metal did you end up using?

I have my original 721 stock and and bottom metal for the ADL style blind mag. Do you know if the 721 bottom metal will work?
My thought was to pick up a used 700 LA stock to swap for the original.

BTW, your rifle work looks outstanding. Nice job.
Thanks.

The stock is an iota outdoors kremlin, I bought from a member here. Rifle hadn't been shot since I was a kid and my son was shooting some targets and couldn't get 3" groups 😂 so I checked with bore scope and barrel was extremely pitted, so a rebarrel was in order, got lucky on the stock and ordered a remage 20" fluted #6 McGowan, a jewel trigger, also found pt&g bottom metal on forum. I didn't try the 721 bottom metal on the 700 stock because I wanted a hinged floor plate. Possibly just have to drill the third hole and can use it? Not sure if the photo shows it very well but you can see the original trigger sitting there and how the safety is shaped and doesn't protrude as high. Couple color samples on bottom metal for cerakote, still u sure about it🙄

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
The pictures astound me - just a wealth of valuable information. I can see the trigger/safety differences easily. Did you pillar and bed the action?

I'm doing essentially what you have done. I'm starting with 721 actions, remage barrels, and either use the original wood stock or upgrade. Your work has given me a lot of ideas and what to expect. Thanks.

Good luck. And send me pics when it's done.

Thanks again.

Clayt

The iota stock comes with pillars installed, this is my first stock from them so I don't have a wealth of known about it but I would say the inlet is a little to deep for the bottom metal so I had to bed it to basically shim it down about 1/16 or so to stop the hinges floor plate from binding. I will fully bed it this weekend before I apply cerakote so I have high expectations for this budget build!!

Yes! Everything from your 721 will fit a 700 LA stock. I did apply bedding compound for the stock 721 bottom metal to fit the 700 stock.

Yes! Everything from your 721 will fit a 700 LA stock. I did apply bedding compound for the stock 721 bottom metal to fit the 700 stock.
Good education here for me. Thanks! If my son ever decides to change his R721/270, I am happy to know it can be done with existing stuff