Rem 700PSS Action probs....help!

Coldzero

Hi All!

About 6 months ago I picked up a Remington 700PSS in .308, which is a great piece of gear and shoots 1/2 MOA groups easy....However the bolt is giving me trouble it is really stiff to lock down. Is there a way I can smooth my bolt out?Is it a problem? If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it

Cheers

Are the rims of the case getting scratched? I had a similar problem where the factory "ring" extractor was causing this problem. I had it changed to a Sako extractor and solved the problem.

Front action screw too long? Any scratches on the bolt? Is it hard to close when unloaded?

Firstly, thanks for the replies!

The bolt is stiff to close when there is no round in the chamber. It will slide in forward well but the actual closing is stiff. The bolt has got the coating on it that remington puts on, some of this has started to come off on the bolt (General wear?). I took out the action screws and closed the bolt, still stiff on closing. Took apart the action even to investigate how it is sitting. Is it the extractor?

Cheers

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Tried checking the screws on the picatinny rail, took them all out and still no good (Great suggestion though Willy, didn't think of that one). Now I'm wondering whether it is the lug recess fit.

Great website this, excellent to learn from.

Cheers

CZ,

For what it's worth, I've purchased at least a couple dozen 700s (mostly as actions) over the past few years. I love the design, and have several built for a variety of purposes. But honestly, I've seen some REAL quality control issues in many of the recently manufactured guns. Most of these revolved around problems with the bolt. Improperly located extractors (bad cuts in the bolt face), shoddy machine work, and in one case a firing pin hole that was so badly oversize that the rifle pierced virtually everything I tried in it, including factory ammo.

I still buy and use 700s, but I'd much rather buy an older one than a brand new one. Al least until they go back to making them like they used to. Have a gunsmith look it over carefully, and see if there's some alignment problems or something along those lines. Hey, at this point,nothing would surprise me!

KT

Thanks for the post KT!

I've always thought very highly of Remington, Particularly the 700 models. However this has raised some serious questions on quality, particularly when I'm buying one of the higher end models like the 700P. Dissapointing. Next time I'll go a Savage or a custom job.

Cheers,

CZ

Me too, CZ, and I really hate to have to say this, but it's true. I'm hoping that the management takes this sort of thing as constructive criticism, and goes back to making the fine rifles they have in the past. No redesign, no new additions, just basic QC standards and attention to detail. It's a fine action, and a truly great design but they have to make them right to begin with. I hate buying a factory action knowing that it's going to be a gunsmith project, just to make it right.

KT

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts