Rem 700P 338 Lapua faulty barrel

Is this thread on Rem 700P 338 Lapua Faulty barrel or just a hi-jacked bitch on Remys?

I am sure there is plenty wrong with Remys, but could we take that to another thread and keep this one about 338 Lapua's.

Thanks,

It's a bit of both. The rifle that's afflicted with a flaw is a Remington, and these posts involve a discussion on how to resolve a flaw with a Remington product and other forum members experiences dealing with Remington. What would you prefer, that only nice things be said about the manufacturer of your Remingtion rifle? Do you think knocker started this thread because he's happy with his rifle as is and that he isn't looking for any assistance in what to do about a Remington rifle with a defective or poor quality barrel? Here's a thought. How about you trade knocker your rifle for his. You got a winner and he's got one of Remington's losers. Then knocker will be happy and you won't have to suffer the grief of reading other's posts about what to expect from Remington when a loser slips out of their factory.

If the originator of this thread, knocker wants to object to my post or claim that his thread has been hi-jacked, I would expect he's capable of doing so all on his own. Or did you feel he required your assistance? Other than that, there's no one forcing you to read my posts or others like it.

You'll find plenty of other threads about Remington products that will make you feel nice, warm, and cozy, if that's solely what you're interested in.

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Back in the day....we use to be Rem warranty station. I cant tell you how many 870's 3" models came through the shop with 2 3/4" ejectors installed. We finally gave up fixing all their problems.

Interesting reply and I thank you for it. I knew what the problem was as my brother has been a gunsmith for the past 25 years. The ejector wasn't installed back far enough for the fired casing to clear the barrel chamber/ejection port. Any knowledgable gunsmith would have identified the problem in short order. Did Remington expect me to believe their 30-year experienced gunsmith didn't know what the problem was? They were simply more interested in maximizing the companies profits so they sent my shotgun back as defective as it was when I shipped it to them, and only after I paid their bill. So for knocker, don't expect to be in good hands with Remington. They're not like the AllState insurance company commercials. With Remington, you may very well be abandoned after the sale, as I was.

Last edited:
Ok. No worries. I just wanted to be sure this thread stays on original topic. If you feel it does, post it.

Knocker - you said you have worked with a dealer, and also Remy doesn't "care". Did you talk with Remy directly about this issue? I just can't tell by your post.

Maybe bad run of barrels they got - anyone a barrel expert and know?

Since we are talking Remy warranty issues, I have had great experience on the couple of times I called them. Except the 6 weeks it took them to re-barrel a rifle I sent back, I feel it was too long of a time. When I have called them for info or warranty on a stock - I've had no problems, they have been great. Maybe I got lucky and the right person answered the phone when I called?

I would try to call the Factory about the barrel issue if you haven't - maybe they can hand pick one that doesn't have the problem and send it to you. But if the issue is not visible until 30 rnds?? Any barrel experts have and idea?

I'll watch my 700P 338LM to see if it does the same.

Remy should make it right. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Last edited:
After a thorough scrubbing this evening, I carefully inspected the barrel of my 700P 338 LM. Well, lo and behold, my barrel has the same tooling/scarring as indicated in the original post of this thread. Right where the rifling begins just aft of the chamber throat, there is about a 1/2 " really rough patch of bore between two of the lands/rifling. It looks like a chunk of steel was torn out. The rifling looks intact, no issues that I can see. I wish I could take a pic, but not sure how to get "in there"

However, what can I say, this rifle flat out shoots even with this obvious defect - easily a 1/2 MOA rifle, and shooting it out to 800 yards yesterday, a 7" gong was getting rung easily and consistently. It looks horrible to be sure, but I have not experienced any issues with accuracy or fouling !? I am not sure what to make of / do about it ? I guess shoot the **** out of it and get it "ready" for a custom tube...

Last edited:
Hi we have just replaced a barrel on a factory 338 Lapua here. The rifle would not shoot so we have fitted a new Lawton 26" barrel SSG Vaporiser break, seekins 5 shot 3.9" mag system fully trued the action, Lawton pinned recoil lug and bedded the rifle correctly. Next week I have to repaint the rifle.

If you want an accurate 338 get a sendaro in 338 ultramag and rechamber it to 338 Edge. The rifle will outshoot the remingtons in 338 Lapua.

We also replaced a 338 win mag barrel that had a large groove 1\2" in from the crown. most remingtons shoot realy well but some are just crap.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I've read on another forum that Remington has suspended The 700P MLR due to production problems .Can anyone here verify that?--- And I wonder why there's nothing to be found on the rifles on their "LE" website .

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts