rem 700 XCR

krake22

im looking at the XCR in 7mm i want a gun that i can walk all day with since i do all my hunting on the oregon coast and walk for mile in the brush but i come to clear cuts alot and want a gun that can also shoot out to say 7-800yards for elk, blackbear on down.. is this a good rifle for that kinda hunting or should i look and a diff rem model or even a diff make in rifle?

i was thinking about the 300win or 300wsm. i want to run the berger bullets and from what i hear i heard the 7mm 180gr or 168gr will out do the 30cals at 500yards. do you know anything about that im new to all this? and is the XCR a good pick in rifles withut doing alot of aftermarket work for those ranges

no i wont be getting a break becuase i hunt in brushy areas and alot of time i only have couple seconds for a shot. and ont be wearing ear plugs. so do you guys think the XCR is good enought to take game at those long ranges also?

The XCR is not going to be more accurate than an SPS or any other "average" 700 rifle. It's not made for accuracy, so if you buy one, it will be a roll of the dice as far as accuracy goes. It will probably be a 1 - 1 1/2 MOA rifle, maybe a little better and maybe a little worse. You might get it down to sub MOA with some good load work.

If you want an accurate 700, then get a Sendero. My pick for good shooting factory rifle would be a Sub MOA Vanguard. Others will say a Savage. Those are the best factory options... if... you want to be reasonably assured of out of the box accuracy. Otherwise, don't expect to be accurate beyond 400-500 yds, it might be, but don't expect it.

Good shooting,

Mark

thanks for the info mark i might have to go with the sendero a lil heavy but prob the best choice. not a big weatherby fan. mayne the new savage long range hunter 111. or the tikka you know much about the tikkas ? and i do not handload i will have to buy the HSM berger bullets for a while tell i get started...

first off, just wanna say that 700-800 yards is a long shot in a sporter wieght rifle. I know because I shoot a Remington XCR in .338 RUM. I personally got a gem and a half with mine (sunday I shot a couple groups around 1/2" at 200 yards). I did a substantial amount of tinkering with it though. My old .300 RUM didnt shoot so well, and it was an SPS (1MOA on a good day). So like MR said it is luck of the draw.

as well as the Senduro look at the Rem XCR LRT, Winchester Extreme Weather and Savage Long Range Hunter (like you mentioned). I would also go a little bigger for elk at those distances (300 win or bigger).

700 yards is a long shot for even most members of this site, so start reading and have fun! I personally cant shoot at game past 550 yards, but I love making it to the next level!

thanks for the info mark i might have to go with the sendero a lil heavy but prob the best choice. not a big weatherby fan. mayne the new savage long range hunter 111. or the tikka you know much about the tikkas ? and i do not handload i will have to buy the HSM berger bullets for a while tell i get started...

Tikka's are shooters and they're lightweight to boot. I have two T3s in 7mm Rem Mag and one will pretty consistently shoot 0.5-0.6 moa with 168 Berger VLDs. The other about 0.6-0.7 moa with Nosler 160 Accubonds. This is with carefully hand loaded and tuned-for-the-rifle ammunition.

I shot one three-shot group of 3.6" at 990 yds with the Berger 168 VLDs. I don't know how often I could do that. There are very few reports of Tikka T3s that don't shoot. I have no complaints with either of mine - especially for a rifle in that price range.

[
QUOTE=krake22;377564]thanks for the info mark i might have to go with the sendero a lil heavy but prob the best choice. not a big weatherby fan. mayne the new savage long range hunter 111. or the tikka you know much about the tikkas ? and i do not handload i will have to buy the HSM berger bullets for a while tell i get started...
[/QUOTE]

Krake, I've got two Sendero's and they are great shooters. A 300 RUM and a 25-06. I haul them over the plains and mountains of Montana with a a 2lb NF scope and for me, it doesn't seem a whole lot different then when I used to haul around a Ruger M77 with a B&L scope. About 2 1/2 lbs difference.

One thing good about the Senderos are they are a good platform for a future build. Good stock and action. The newer Sendero's have a wider beaver tail forearm and palm swell which I dont really care for but maybe you would like it. Best thing to do is go handle one.

Having said that, I have started leaning more toward Howa actions which is who makes the Weatherby Vanguards. So a Vanguard is not a typical Weatherby. The sub MOA Vanguards also make a good platforn for a future build and are good shooters. IME, the Rem actions are good but the Howa actions are better. I have both, and when I wear out my Sendero barrels I'll probably sell them and order basic SS Vanguard rifles and replace the barrels and stocks. For now though, the Senderos work great for me.

I own a Sako 85 Finnlight wich is similar in some ways to the Tikkas. Made by the same company. My Sako is a dog and I'm stuck with it. Most Sako and Tikka owners are happy with their rifles and you haver a lot better chance of getting a good shooter with one than with most other factory rifles, but still a little risky. Vanguards come with a factory shot target, so you have an idea of what you're getting. Sako and Tikka come with a 1 MOA "guarantee", but I can assure you that it is a worthless guarantee based upon my dealings with Beretta who bought out Sako a few years ago. I personally will never buy another Beretta product, but that's just me. Another thing to consider is that Sakos and Tikkas, IME, have a poor recoil lug system and they are not good platforms for follow on builds. The plastic stocks are junk and it's not easy to find aftermarket options for them. if you do get a Tikka, chances are it will be a shooter, but it's still more risky than going with a Sendero, Vanguard or Savage IMO, especially with factory ammo.

Hope that helps,

Mark

I can vouch for the Howa's too. I had a 7mm Rem in a Howa, and although I never shot it much it was extremly well made. WAAAYYYY better machining than my Remy, though I would still go remmy again just for function. Sure wish I didnt sell that 7mm.

I have the Remington 700xcr in 270wsm it is very accurate. Factory Winchester 150gr. Power Points was getting 3/4" group at 100yds. Now I have worked up a load using WW case, Accurate Arms MagPro and Nosler 140gr. accubond getting 1/2" group at 100yds. Gun is tough as nails and very accurate. Real happy with my XCR.gun)

Ive have 4 700 and every one of them shoot sub moa out of the box.For what you are going to use it for and where i cant think of a better factory rifle.

That's great you have had good experiences with the 700 Rifles. What's your definition of sub MOA? Out to 800 yds? I have only ever owned 3 700's, 2 Senderos and a 243 BDL I got about 30 years. I gave it to my brother years ago. The Senderos shoot very well, the BDL was a 20" iron sight rifle and it was good for it's purpose, short range (less than 300 yds) deer hunting in PA.

For an out-of- the-box 800 yd hunting rifle, I would have to disagree with you. I think hoping for an 800 yd out-of-the-box 700 (other than a Sendero) is a stretch. Not impossible, but not likely IMO.

I would get a standard Vanguard (guaranteed to less than 1 1/2 MOA with factory shot target) before an SPS or XCR any day. On averge, I have little doubt, that they will outshoot a 700 (for the same price) and the action is hands down better.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts