Rem 700 xcr tact LR 300 win mag build questions

bobby57

I am just getting into long range shooting I purchased my rifle a year ago it is a Remington M700 XCR tactical long range in 300 win mag with a bell and carlson stock and I am currently looking into what scope I want to put on it I really wanted a leupold mark 4 but my wife works at Carl Zeiss and gets 2 scopes a year at a hefty discount any thoughts? My primary use for this rifle will be elk hunting but I would like to be set up do some long range target shooting as well ( like try to hit something at a mile) am I not even being reasonable or is this a feesable idea? Like i said just getting into this so any advice would be appreciated. Other questions i have are about replacing the stock so that I could use detachable mags or is the stock it comes with good and I'll just get a badger ordnance trigger guard that accepts magazines, and trigger (thinking of a jewel trigger), whats the best scope base and rings?

I am just getting into long range shooting I purchased my rifle a year ago it is a Remington M700 XCR tactical long range in 300 win mag with a bell and carlson stock and I am currently looking into what scope I want to put on it I really wanted a leupold mark 4 but my wife works at Carl Zeiss and gets 2 scopes a year at a hefty discount any thoughts? My primary use for this rifle will be elk hunting but I would like to be set up do some long range target shooting as well ( like try to hit something at a mile) am I not even being reasonable or is this a feesable idea? Like i said just getting into this so any advice would be appreciated. Other questions i have are about replacing the stock so that I could use detachable mags or is the stock it comes with good and I'll just get a badger ordnance trigger guard that accepts magazines, and trigger (thinking of a jewel trigger), whats the best scope base and rings?

The rifle is fine the way it comes with the standard floorplate. Replace the trigger with a Jewell set a 1.5 lbs or a Timney is a good option. You may want to skim bed the stock to get the most out of it. Since your wife works for Zeiss, get an HD5 5-25x50 with locking turrets. For a base get a Nightforce 20 MOA and a set of heavy duty rings. I like Leupold Mark 4 aluminum, Vortex PMR (Seekins), Nightforce ultralight. This setup will get you to around 1500 yards. If you're hell bent on a mile, then you'll need more elevation. If you wish to spot your hits, get a good side ported brake installed.

Next, get a stash of brass, H1000, Federal 215 primers, and some 215 Bergers to get that rifle doing what you bought it for.

Pretty good advice from Brent above. Same scope I was thinking too.

Now getting you to 1000yds... .

Running some rough numbers you need around 36-40 MOA of adjustment to get you there.

That scope with a 20 MOA Rail should get you there.

At 1800yds though you're looking at a drop of over 2,700 inches with a 144 MOA adjustment needed.

When you get ready to try pushing out beyond a thousand yards you probably need to consider adding another rig completely as it will have to be equipped specifically for that purpose; Either that or you're going to have to spend a lot of time swapping out rails and remounting scopes.

I am currently running that same set up, just I dropped the bell and calson and slapped an HS I had kicking around just cause I liked the look better.

Get yourself some H-1000 and 215 bergers and start getting rounds down range. I have the 215's moving just over 2900fps and that requires about 24-25moa to hit 1000 not 34-40? Unless you plan on throwing them I'm thinking you'll be closer to that 24-27 mark

thanks guys for the advice I didn't figure it to be easy or expect it to happen tomorrow this is going to be a few year process for me I just hate doing things twice so i didn't want to buy something that would work for now then replace in a year or two for something better the 1000 yd shot seems like the more attainable goal and the hd-5 brentc referred to was the one I was looking at I actually have held that one in my hand because a buddy ordered it and it was awesome is there anywhere in the cincinatti/ louisville area that i can put my hands on some optics and look through them other than looking across the store at cabelas also how is zeiss as far as durability or ruggedness and customer service? I just don't notice very many people using there optics why is that?

Last edited:
I am currently running that same set up, just I dropped the bell and calson and slapped an HS I had kicking around just cause I liked the look better.

Get yourself some H-1000 and 215 bergers and start getting rounds down range. I have the 215's moving just over 2900fps and that requires about 24-25moa to hit 1000 not 34-40? Unless you plan on throwing them I'm thinking you'll be closer to that 24-27 mark

how was your action out of the box I expected mine to be smoother seemed like maybe it had some burs that need removed I oiled mine and cycled it about 1000 times which helped but its still not as smooth as my m700 22-250. I mean it doesn't hang up or anything and works flawlessy but I don't know I just expected it to slide smooth almost like running your hand across melting ice. Like I said I am new at this and have never messed with a gun doing any of this I have had them my whole life but never spent any time dialing anything in or trying to make one perfect. My sighting one in consisted ofme taking my 870 out of gun cabinet and if I could hit a paper plate at 50 yds resting it on my knee it was time to go hunting.

how was your action out of the box I expected mine to be smoother seemed like maybe it had some burs that need removed I oiled mine and cycled it about 1000 times which helped but its still not as smooth as my m700 22-250. I mean it doesn't hang up or anything and works flawlessy but I don't know I just expected it to slide smooth almost like running your hand across melting ice. Like I said I am new at this and have never messed with a gun doing any of this I have had them my whole life but never spent any time dialing anything in or trying to make one perfect. My sighting one in consisted ofme taking my 870 out of gun cabinet and if I could hit a paper plate at 50 yds resting it on my knee it was time to go hunting.

If you lube your bolt with something like Tetra grease your action will smooth right up.

Go to Midwayusa.com and get some lapping compound and try it again. If you see anything that is obviously rough you can do a bit of light filing and honing with a stone to speed things up but be careful.

You might also just want to see if you can find some 400 and 600 grit valve grinding compound at your local Auto Parts store if you don't want to wait on mail order.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.