Rem 700 vs Tac 338

bjlooper

If I choose to go with a round based on the 338 Laupa. How much does it cost to open up a rem 700? Would it be just a cheap to go with a Stiller Tac 338.

If money is not a problem which action would you recomend.

DR B

I am just a newbie, but many smiths warned me against the 700 action for the 338 Lapua. I cant remember the exact reasons, but it may have been also for the fact that the 338 edge was an easier option for like performance with less fuss ??

There are some real experts that will jump in and put you in the right direction. I have a couple of friends who built Lapuas on Nesika and Lawton actions.

Just trying to be of assistance.

Cheers

The Surgen actions are great , very well built with a great desgine , bill for bill if the money wasen't an option I'd go with the Surgen. you will have to throw $400-$500 at a remington to get it close to what the Surgen is plus the $350 for th action and you will still have a Remington action. The Remington will handel the Lapua case but I would only use the Chromoly action and not the Stainless as the stainless is not as strong , the Surgen desgine their is no problem as its a bit bigger in critical areas to handel this fat round.

All of that said the Lawton and Stiller actions are also very well built and make an action to handel the 338 Lapua case and cost less.

But if money were not an option I'd get the Surgen

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.