Rem 700 VLS

madcow41

I have a new to me rem 700 VLS in 22-250 and I want to get it to be a shooter out to at least 500 (if im off on my expectations let me know) the trigger has been adjusted and barrel free floated but not aluminum bedded, everything is factory as far as i know. it has a leopold 4-12 i think 40mm objective lens.

So what can i do with it?

You should be in the ball park with the set up you have. I'd glass bed the action, but depending on the gun itself and the reticle on your scope, you should be able to ventilate a varmint at 500. Some remmys are great right out of the box (if it's had the trigger tuned and barrel floated, I'd bet that it's a good one, unless someone already shot out the barrel), others need to be rebarreled, trued etc. If you've got a good one, all you should need is to work up a good load/find the ammo it likes. The 22-250 has a big selection of bullets to chose from, so it may take a bunch of shooting to figure out what it likes to eat. Once you do, it should shoot like a champ.

Cody

I load a 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in front of 35.0 grains of Varget with a CCI large rifle or a Fed 210M primer.

Out of my VLS I have shot sub inch groups at 300 yards. The rifles best group ever was around 1/2 inch for 5 shots at 300 yards.

Madcow41: I would add more scope power, torque the action screws to 45 inch/pounds and start load testing!
I currently have 4 Remington 700 VLS's - one in 223 Remington, two in 22-250 Remington and one in 260 Remington.
None of my VLS's have been "bedded" to date.
They all shoot very well - both of my 22-250's have Leupold 6.5x20 variable scopes on them.
I seldom shoot them out past 500 yards - but at and under 500 yards they are rather "deadly"!
I use 52 and 55 grain bullets in these two VLS's.
Be sure to try the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in your VLS.
Best of luck with your new Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Madcow , I would shoot it before you do anything . The new 53 ( or is it 52 Gr. ? ) Vmax will give you the most bang-for-the Buck . Try H380 and some of the other Powders suggested above . Win. Brass is good , or if you have deep pockets , go with Lapua . I like the CCI BR Primers or if you like ....then Federal . Unless you have eyes like Ted Williams did , I'm with Varmintguy on the Scope . For me 16X is marginal at 500 Yards . I would shoot what you got , but switch out later to a Variable that maxes out at 20X or more if you are going to be trying many 500 Yard shots .

I'm not sure the new 53Vmax would shoot very well in a factory Rem 22-250.

They all have 1-14tw barrels and that may be a bit to slow to stabilize the very long for weight 53Vmax.

I'm shooting those 53's out of my 1-9tw 223AI and they're not only accurate as hell but they are brutal on coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts