Rem 700 trigger cleaning

Lighter fluid, like for a Zippo lighter. Flush the trigger and let it dry. There will be a very light, dry film left, and the trigger assembly will be clean. That has worked well for me for many years.
Edit to add. This has been for Winchester M70, Timney replacement triggers on Rugers and the Jewel triggers on my Remington 700's

Last edited:
When I get an unknown to me Rem Walker trigger, I do a complete teardown and soak it in OMS for a couple of days. Will surprise you what you can find in there. Let air dry. Check everything for any burrs that need removed. Lightly polish the sear engagement surfaces (only improve finish, don't change any angles). Install a new lighter trigger spring, reassemble and set the trigger pull weight, sear engagement, and overtravel to suit me. Perform all safety checks. Makes for a very good trigger I have confidence in.

Walker Trigger.jpg

Lighter fluid, like for a Zippo lighter. Flush the trigger and let it dry. There will be a very light, dry film left, and the trigger assembly will be clean. That has worked well for me for many years.
Edit to add. This has been for Winchester M70, Timney replacement triggers on Rugers and the Jewel triggers on my Remington 700's

This ^^^^^

After removal of assembly, use solvent to clean off the gunk. I use Acetone to give it an oil-base free bath. Lighter fluid still has a bit of oil base in it. Whatever works best ...

The best cleaning procedure I have found for the Remington trigger is to remove from rifle , open garbage up , throw in garbage , install trigger tech , timney , jewel etc .. cleaning now complete.

Or another option is to empty lighter fluid mentioned above on top and all around rem 700 trigger. Next step is to light the fluid with a match or alternate source of ignition.

Recent Posts