Rem 700 Trigger - BIG problems...

Riflemanse

Hi

To night I tried to adjust the heavy factory trigger pull my Rem 700 had.
(My rifle has the J lock system by tha way)

I have never adjusted a Rem 700 trigger before, only Win 70 and Tikka.

I followd these instructions. Remington Trigger Adjustments

I never got down to where I want, the pull is a little more then 3.3 pounds now...

I now have two problems

1. Sometimes the trigger does not reset as soon as the bolt is lifted, it takes some time, I hear it "click" whant it´s reset.

2. If i pull the trigger while closing the bolt it drops the pin, even if the locking lugs are not fully engaged.

I have tried to adjust the sear engagement to engage more but no luck.

Oh, and in the frustration I broke the cheap plastic trigger guard while torquing the rear screw... (Any one got one to spare for a ADL?) I guess it´s not my day to day...

Diezel

1. If you can afford it, replace the factory Rem trigger set up, if you shop round a bit I think you can get a Timney trigger for about £50, well worth it.

2. Email Remington and complain about the trigger guard busting on torque up an see if they send you a new one. It shouldn't bust if you were torque'ing up correctly & to the correct load.

I have a Tikka M595 in .308 I might pick your brains on how to adjust the trigger later:D

HP

Hi HP

Yes, I will change the trigger later on, the rifle is a build in progres. :)

I just tried to pull the trigger with the bolt not fully closed on my Rem 700 LTR and it drops the pin to so that might be as it should then.

That leaves problem 1. to resolve.

The Tikka triggers I have worked with where the older M55 and mostly just adjusting the weight.

Might have solved problem 1. When I slowly raised the bolt handle I applied some pressure forward, that made the sear click when resetting.

do a googel search on rem trigger . I cant remember the addy but there is a site that gives detailed instructions on triger adjustment , something like remington owners.com or something like that . hope this helps .

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.