rem 700 titanium action

300spanker

found a 300 ultra built on a rem titanium action. nice gun and i am thinking about buying it. however, i have heard from several individuals that titanium flexes a little more and can therefore effect the accuracy of the weapon. is this true and should i worry about it or not??gun)

I know it costs a pretty more than steel, but cant say with any certainty that it flexes more. I was actually under the impression that it was stiffer. (again I may well be wrong.) This is probably best answered by one of the smiths on this site. If none of them chime in, I have really enjoyed talking with Kevin at Mountour County Rifles. Maybe give him a ring and run it past him?

shawn carlock is building one of his custom rifle packages on this action. He would be a good one to talk to about it. If he is building custom rifles on this action I doubt there is much of an issue with its accuracy, but it would be worth a chat with him about it.

I don't know the Ti alloy used however steel has a modulas of elasticity of 29,000,000 psi
and Titanium has a ME of roughly 16,000,000 psi

So yea, its very much less Stiff (modulas of elasticity) given the same physical geometry.

Acually titanium is stiffer. The lower PSI number is stating that is has less flexibility and will facture sooner. Kinda like bending a tube of glass or plastic, glass is stiffer but will fracture or break with less pressure. Steel is more ductile or flexible. When is the last time someone tried to bend a reciever in half, these are not the type of forces being generated. Titanium is very tough and resists change and movement from atmoshere and heat very well. The drawback to titanium is cost at about $35.00 lbs or more and the machinability is very low, driving manufacturing cost WAY up. Titanuim is the way to go if you can afford it, in my opinion.

Incorrect. Please don't confuse Modulas of Elasticity with Yield Strength.

They both use PSI as units. Neither has a direct connection with the toughness (impact or fatigue generated)

ME or just E is basically the slope of the stress strain curve BEFORE the elastic limit is reached. Meaning that slope is the "stiffness" of the material. A lower number indicates more dimensional (elastic) deflection with a given load and geometry than its counterpart. Steel is twice as stiff as Titanium... You will notice titanium or aluminum revolvers use steel in strategic places to prevent such deflection from causing problems. Again, were talking about stiffness Before ductile yielding occurs.

I'm not saying this receiver will perform worse or better, chances are there are Steel Inclusions or geometric Changes over a original receiver to account for the changes in properties.

You are covering quite a few material properties that are Not always related to each other. Toughness, Yield Strength, Work Hardening, Modulas of Elasticity, and finally Coefficient of Thermal expansion.

We machine Titanium everyday and it is not that hard to machine, at least in the common alloys.

Titanium is VERY notch sensitive, meaning that cracks will almost always propagate from some defect. Circular machining marks on a shaft are a real no-no and must be polished out or some other reorientation is needed.

Generally it is about 70% heavier than Aluminum and almost as strong as a good steel but rarely as strong as the best steels. Most actions are made from mid-alloy steel....good quality but far from the strongest.

In reality most material choices involve trade-offs, and rifle actions are not immune.

edge.

WOA.... is right. I wasn't trying to start an argument. You are correct that the ME of steel is twice that of titanium. I was just saying that I like titanuim if you can affort it. With the types of rifles you see on this site everyone is concerned with super tight tolerances with the actions. Titanium is a very temp stable material and will have almost zero dimensional movement when thing start to warm up or cool down. It's also lighter making it nicer to carry as a rifle. And if you were to make a reciever out of titanuim you could change it dimensionally to compensate for any weaker areas which I'm sure Remington has already done. Maybe stiffness is not the correct way to compare the two in a rifle. But if you look at almost all upperlevel motorsports the connecting rods that are most popular are made from titanium, because they are lighter and stronger (impact resistant, zero stretch or growth and stiffer) than steel rods. But 10 times the price.

No argument here, its just my materials geek coming out.

You are totally right, the coefficient of thermal expansion is really good for Ti.
I'm not a big fan though, for the aforementioned ME issues and what the other gentlemen referred to, the fatigue cracking propensity.

Bottom line, I am really biased to Ferrous metals. Titanium scares me. I have been part of weld failure investigations, and when it comes to Ti (yes probably few welds on a receiver) the fatigue mode for failure is really unforgiving. You can have subtle unseen cracks develop and fail without visible warning.

Job knowledge: CTOD testing (May 2005)

HOWEVER, if Remington is putting it out, i'm sure they have it dialed in.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.